I have a1998 Chevy Cavalier, that has the coolant light on and it was over heating,

Asked by Jul 29, 2015 at 09:51 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

I had it checked and I had 600ppm of carbon in the coolant system. I had a cracked gasket, so I had the gasket replaced, new thermostat, new bottom hoses, radiator, fan, and temp sensor. and cleaned the recovery tank. the light is still on, and the temp gauge is still climbing. I will pullover when it gets to the last line before red, and let it cool. Help?

7,740

You must maintain pressure in the radiator or the coolant will boil. If your cap is not sealing properly or if the seat is distorted you will boil away all your coolant

Best Answer
840

while the i am not familiar with chevy cavalier, the basic principle is that you need a proper coolant circulation thru the engine and transmission. I will advise to check your water pump. There is a possibility that the water pump is failing without showing any sign of leak.

Sorry I did not answer right away, was trying fixes. Turned out the coolant tank had a crack, but could only be seen when pressure was up to 195degrees or higher, that's when coolant would escape. replaced and everything is fine now. Thank you for your answer, now I have to work on the windows.