Drivers headlight is dim

475

Asked by Jun 08, 2012 at 09:20 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

I have a '98 Cavalier Z24 that the fog lights, running lights, park lights, & cruise control work fine until I turn on the head lights, then the drivers headlight goes dim and so does the fog light. Once you turn the headlights off again, the running lights won't come on and the running light indicator/dash light flashes. I just tried to re-ground the light circuit thinking that was the problem, now I'm thinking head light switch, Any idea's???

625

could also be your battery or the alternator is starting to go bad. car might start but not provide enough power to use the headlights if the alternator is bad

625

try switching the bulbs around in the headlight to see if it dims on the passenger side. might just have a bad bulb.

2,985

could be the ground on the front of the front left fender all the lights share the same gound to control all of the light so try cleaning that up and see if it works let me know if it fixes it

2,985

at this point id replace the headlight switch

475

Hah! It seems when all else fails, try checking the fuse! Being unfamiliar with the wiring of the car, it wasn't until I was reading a wiring schematic that I learned there is a separate fuse for each headlight. Although the left headlight was on/dim, it must of been back-feeding from the other light somehow. When I learned of the separate fuses, I checked the left side fuse & discovered it was burnt, changed it & viola! I know that sounds like stupidity & STEP 1 of troubleshooting, but the symptoms definitely was throwing everyone involved off in the diagnosis. ALWAYS start with the basics! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

2,985

well good job thats how those daytime running lights work it feeds power into one bulb and then out to the otherand then to a ground that how they accomplish the dimming of the lights

yep, i missed the fuse too! I'm glad I checked the wiring though, the red and one of the blue wires were burned through inside the loom which probably caused the fuse to go.