how do u install a rotary engine in a 1991 Mazda Miata

65

Asked by Dec 05, 2014 at 10:33 PM about the 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base

i have a 1991 Mazda Miata and i was wondering how to install a rotary engine in 1 of
these right now its just pushing a stock 1.8L engine

23,855

I would try miata.net or clubroadster to see if there are any write ups on a rotary swap.

1,505

I'm sure it can be done, see if the motor mounts are the same & line up in the same location first, a slight mod (welding) might be needed & see if the trans bolt pattern are the same to the rotary engine. Former Mazda RX3 & Rotary truck owner. I saw a cool V8 swap on TV into a Miata. A company provides a wide body fender kit & use a rear end out of a late model T-bird. Also a mid-engine rotor motor to a VW trans axial in a sand rail. It tore-up everything on the beach & dunes in Mexico. Mechanics Tech school specialize in rotaries, also in Puerto Rico they love rotaries too, (see youtube).Mechanics Tech in Orlando built a turbo 3 rotor trike motorcycle! But no one had balls enough to ride it.

1,505

See Stacy Gearz TV show of how to transform your Miata into a Banshie.

65

ok thx

25,195

A rotary engine in an MX-5, huh? That should prove interesting. Let us know how that works out for you.

23,855

It actually works well racerx, smaller motor than stock, the rotary can make lot of hp if boosted, installed in a sub 2200 lb car = fun. Downside of the rotary is the apex seals start to go bad around 50k miles and require a rebuild of the motor.

1,505

I know, I had a 70 cu, in. & a 80 cu. in rotary cars. A moly additive for the seals helps.

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ.... "Molly additives" will not do anything for rotary engines because they use oil, period. When a rotary engine breaks an apex seal, an oil seal or a water seal it causes mayhem in the internals of that engine. "Molly additives" are simply "snake oil" for rotary engines. Do yourself a favor, unless you have plenty of money and time to spend, make sure to do your own research... It will cost you thousands!!!

1,505

I beg to differ, I used a moly additive in a 70" 1973 RX-2 Mazda. My car was faster than the Mazda dealerships race car! And I used a moly additive in a 80" rotary truck too. The early rotarys used scaper seals on the rotar apexes, the later rotarys used roller seals on the apexes. Both benefited from a slippery moly additive. Disassembly after a cross country trip proved it. Sorry, proof is in the pudding.

1,505

1 pint of suspended pure molyibdium is what I used.