how long do mazda miatas last

Asked by Apr 02, 2013 at 12:52 PM about the 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base

30,065

you can make one last forever if you keep fixing the things that break. Its hard to asnwer a question like that.

107,745

The car is twenty two years old. What shape is it in?

1,005

This isnt a very specific question but for a general answer. the mazda miata NA and NB (1990 to....early 2000s) has either the 1.6 or 1.8 motor. both are small and stand up to abuse rather well. They can easily last 250K+ miles as long as maintenance is not overlooked. The only big weak point that I know of is the valves. Often, these motors (1.8 especially) will develop valve tick after 100K-150K miles. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the miata itself is sensitive to heat....the cooling system is not perfect so driving it on a very hot day (100+ deg F) for a long period of time can lead it to overheat. on the non mechanic relatedl side....the soft top rear window is horrible if it is plastic. It likes to fade from see through to yellow very fast, especially if the miata is left in the sun. The easy answer to that is to get either a soft top with a glass window or get a hardtop (which you will likely want anyway for long drives). We have two in the family (one 1.8 daily driver and one 1.6 track car) both great cars, very fun to drive. Our 1.8 regularly drives 300+ miles and has never given us any trouble and our 1.6 even lasted 2 seasons on the stock motor (turbo'ed) before it finally had to get a rebuild.

315

This link has a lot of models you can learn from and make your own educated choice: http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mx-5-miata/ hope this helps my friend happy hunting :)

85

early ones need the occasional rag top replaced and had a weak crankshaft keyway and occasional issues with crank end play. The first results in a no start and teh latter, a clunk on shifting. Both relativiely eeasily fixed

250

Change the oil, dont let the coolant leak and drive "normal". Replace the timing belt at 60k and 120k and the miata is very capable of 300,000 miles.

10

My MX-5 just hit 240,000 miles. It was running great and then stopped running great. Lots of ticks and shimmying, and weird random misfire codes. They changed the fuel pump but used ford sparkplugs...said oil was in the pan... more problems...everything has been replaced, but still acting weird....slows down while getting gas...I love this car, had it for 10 years and the miles are mostly highway...what is this crazy random misfire code? Can anyone help?

10

my 94 miata has 300k miles and hasnt had any problems other then a little over heating for the first time today but that cause its 110 outside

My MX5 mk2.5 (2003 model) 1.6 ragtop has 188,000 miles on her clock and is still running well. She does long and short journeys winter and summer and has just developed a bit of rust - luckily it hasn't gone too deep so I can get it wire-brushed and treated and the paintwork resprayed without spending too much (negotiating with a few bodyshops at the moment). Her vinyl top is a bit cracked too so I used clear sealant (it looks like snots to be fair but only if you scrutinise it). Would strongly recommend these cars. Everyone who drive one loves it. They are hardy as well as fun.

1994 I am the original owner always garaged at night factory top replaced with sunfast top which group down very quickly Don't buy that I have been told canvas top is best Oil leak started about 100,000 miles now I am at 199,000 miles needs about a quart of oil every 2000 miles Engine ping with regular gas at 100,000 miles With premium gas no ping At 195k A. electrical short found at door that made fuel pump stopped working B. Same door mechanism broken perhaps by mechanic was repaired by body shop

Drivers airbag electrical malfunction diagnosis cost $400 and repair was $300 that was at 125,000 miles

I have a 1992 Miata. 265,000+. Don't buy the Stayfast canvas top the glass window is too heavy and will rip the zipper after two or three years. Airbag light goes on and blinks all the time. I was told the battery in the airbag itself is shot. They don't make replacements. Buzzer warning bell had to be disconnected, easy fix. Aside from timing belt replacements, I've had no issues. AC no longer works, went out around 200K. I bought it in Dec 1991, drove it to 205K. Gave it to my sister in 2005 she garage kept it until May 2017 and gave it to my son. He loves it, but said it's like roller skates on ice in the snow.

Re driving in snow: yes, these cars really are like rollerskates in snow or on ice. I thought my MX5 was handling the ice until one day when I was going uphill around a 90-degree bend and some teens ran out in front of me so I swerved to avoid them, and lost control for a horrible moment...the car is so light, she didn't skid far, and I kept a light touch and soon regained traction - but after that I got snow socks for the rear wheels. The only problem with these was they shredded whenever I drove on dry ground and it was a bother taking them off and putting them back on to drive on ice, so I invested in studded tyres for my rear wheels and soft snow tyres for the front wheels. Nokian Hakkepelitta from Finland are the studded tyres. Now my car has more traction than a 4WD.