I am lost on my car problem...I need guidance

Asked by Aug 02, 2009 at 07:11 PM about the 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Roadster

I lost my RPMs on the highway and my gas pedal did nothing. When RPMs dropped I heard the engine still running so I pulled unto the shoulder and turned the car off. Checked for undone hoses but none and my belts look fine. Tried to crank it back up but it wouldn't start. The only signs of problem before the break down were a low idle the shook the car and an occasional squeel in the front whenever I pressed the gas but it didn't happen all the time. Also my Air Bag light would come on and flash at me. Checked the throttle cable and it is engaging when I try to crank it. I hear the pump engage when I put the key to on. No check engine light comes on or anything. I am new to Mazdas. I drove a BMW before this one. HELP!

65

check your throttle body. it may be clogged/dirty. Go to Advance Auto or pep boys and buy some carb and throttle body cleaner, take off your inlet pipe and spray some in the throttle body before cranking the motor. But you really need to provide some more information. Is it a manual or automatic? what year? what engine size? Also, if this doesnt solve the problem, I'd talk to your local trusted mechanic before relying on help from facebook. Good luck and I hope this helps!

35

Might be a loose/rusted earth cable in engine bay??

65

It sounds like your timing belt has broken.

55

Ya it sounds like the timing belt jumped or broke. I had that happen in an El Camino drove around all day, but I just parked in front of my friend's house and came back out to leave and it wouldn't start chain jumped. Pop your valve cover off and check it out

55

well, when the airbag light comes on, it usually means that the car thinks you're unsafe. i'd suggest an airbag fooler. should work.