My car seems to be running hot. I left the hood open for about 20 minutes and the fan never kicked on at all.

20

Asked by Jul 14, 2008 at 11:01 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Coupe

195

Try running the A/C, if its an electric fan it should kick on. I had a similar problem.

20

Chris, i dont have AC but i did put the heater on and tried all the levels and still nothing.

80

i would probally suggest that you check your coolent levels such as antifreeze and your oil and your transmission

20

Ron. thanks for the quick response, oil was changed 2 weeks ago, all things were topped up. However, a friend said the antifreeze was low so, topped it up again for me. Next morning there was a puddle of it under my car. Would that just be overflow? That was 3 days ago. Antifreeze level is Ok still, oil is still clear and clean. Not sure about tranny but that would not have anything to do with it would it? Im stumped.

80

heather another guess might be you might have to check your radiator if that still doesn't do anything try checking your O2 sensor or your valve body. the trans has nothing to do with that car being hot or over heating. it could even be a heater core, i would suggest to take it to chevy and see if they can do a diagonostics test to see if anything is not normal

80

also let me know via message if any thing isaid comes up positive

20

Thanks, Ron! They are good suggestions and ill have them checked out...

80

not a problem best of luck

10

it could just be a simple wiring problem to the fan? assuming its electric yeah. if thats the only thing not working then it shouldn't be too hard to find it

20

Your problem is most likey that you need a coolent fan check the fuse in the under hood fuse box is it blowen? it's a big maxie fuse often this is the problem you can put a new fuse in and it may work for a while but 9 out of 10 times your going to need a fan motor

15

Thermostate. Not a mechanic but from experience, its common for the thermo to sieze up & provent the signal for the fan to switch on. I have had several issues with heating problems & some dip s#!T mechanic wired my fan in reverse to suck the heat off the engine to blow onto the raidiator, instread of the other way around. Now I have a large electronic fan, wired to stay on all the time after the egnition is turned on. As for the rest of it. A new water pump has to be the next on the list of things to buy. Do you so corrosion when you take off the cap? If so, even after you flash the radiator your still gonna have to ran the engine for the water to flow through the water pump & reflush it, to do a proper job.

285

does yout cavy have a water tempurature guage in the guage cluster? if so reply with the readings from that. it could be that your engine coolant Temp. sensor has gone bad. it also could be that you have lost power or ground to your cooling fan, do you have a 2.2Lor a 2.4L?

20

I have an appt on Monday, to have it checked. A quick check revealed the fuse is OK. But I guess everyone goes home at 5 and i worked til five, so you know, anyway, I'll let all you helpful fellows know the damage. Thanks!

30

It could be your ac compressor. If your ac compressor is about to die it may do this.

20

Amazingly enuf Adam, i don't have AC!lol

20

Took my Cavalier to the garage today and was told that all i need is a water pump, does that sound rite to anyone? it doesnt sound quite right to me! Have to take it tomorrow, we'll see. Thanks everyone who responded.

5

Yeah Heather, the water pump could easily make your car overheat, since that's what pushes all the coolant through the engine block and radiator. I would suggest having the thermostat changed and also have them take a look at the timing belt(chain if you have a 2.2) because a lot of cars have the timing driven by the water pump pulley, so instead of having to bring your car in twice, save yourself some time and money and have them do it all together, if the timing chain/belt goes because your old pump destroyed it, it can also destroy your new water pump and then you'll need to spend even more money getting a second pump and new chain/belt/timing setup. PLUS LABOR!! Hope you found this helpful. :D

10

just to let you know the transmission can cuase your enging to overheat if it is an automatic transmission. the trans fluid cooler is normally located inside the radiator becuase heat transfer takes place beter liquid to liquid than liquid to air. therefor if your trans is overheating it CAN cuase your engine to appear to be running hot, and CAN cuase it to overheat