1998 Chevy Cavalier 55k miles making noise

Asked by May 09, 2014 at 12:09 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

Have a 1998 Chevy Cavalier with less than 56 thousand original miles on it. Started making a kind of ticking noise, replaced belt tensioner and noise stopped. The noise is back but now sounds like a dirty lifter. Asking for any help or ideas on what it may be.

20

mine does the same still runs great though. it could possibly be your timing chain but with only 56xxx miles you shouldn't have to but it all depends on how it was maintained. mine has been well maintained and has almost 200xxx miles and is about ready for a timing change. If it is your timing CHANGE it, if it goes bad your pistons will bend the valves and then your stuck with a big costly job- mike

20

It could also just be the harmless click of the pistons moving. common in cavaliers and most 4cyl gm vehicles

Best Answer

thanks for the answer thought possibly timing chain as well, though the noise seems to come from the top of engine around the # 2 cylinder. Thinking about using motor flush on it after I pull the valve cover and take a look at head. The original owner has been using synthetic blend oil the whole time.