My transmission shift cable broke , how can i replace the rubber grommet?

Asked by Apr 30, 2010 at 07:22 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible

The rubber grommet in the shift cable wore out . How can I fix it? Not available from GM

705

I bought a 3/4 inch dia. dowel from Home Depot and drilled a small hole in the center for the lever and then cut off about a 1/2 slice of the dowel and used this piece instead of the rubber grommet. You also need to buy a small pkg of "c" clips and flat washers to keep it in place. Mine has been working for over a year now with no problems. I just noticed that the grommets are missing on the linkage to the transmission now. I will try this on them. Good luck

705

705

I just discovered an easier way to replace the rubber grommet. Instead of the wooden dowel, use rubber fuel line hose. Get a small piece with a 5/16 id and slide it over the shaft with a little glue. If your linkage is coming off, use an e clip and washer to hold it on. Good luck.

20

I had the exact same problem. Your Fix: rockauto.com 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER LS 2.4L 146cid L4 MFI (T) ACDELCO22621784Shift Cable$ 37.99$ 0.001$ 37.99 Discount $ -1.90 ShippingGround (FedEx or UPS)$ 7.60 Order Total $ 43.69

i tried the hose, but no sure how to keep the shfter cable end on the shaft on the linkage

705

Use a washer with a 1/4 dia hole and a circlip to hold the piece of fuel line hose in place. The washer and clip are in the hardware section of your Home Depot. The circlip looks like a rounded letter e and clips into the groove that you find on the linkage shaft.

45

I was able to use this post to fix my issue by going to home depot. options: Dealer - $92 for the part plus labor = Ridiculous - I went and actually got the part from the dealer. The little grommet was the only thing that I needed to get fixed, but they only sell the entire cable system. Website - http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21 Cost = $20. Require you to take the shift lever off and grind out the original pin. If you don’t have a grinder…this is not for you. Home depot - $2 + glue and duck tape…I actually only used one washer for 12 cents. Tools needed: Adjustable wrench, Wire Cutters, Duck tape and Crazy glue. I bought a 5/16 washer - 12 cents, eClip 60 cents and a sprinkler spike (with hose attached) = 99cent Take off the shift lever and take it inside the store. Match up the hose to fit on the pin of the lever. Use glue to put the hose on to the pin. Wrap the connection with ducktape. Clip the hose and put lever back on car. Then attache the shift cable, put on the washer and the eClip and you are done. Estimated time = 45 minutes including in the store time.