how long would it take to freshly repaint a hood, bumper, and fender?

5

Asked by Jul 14, 2014 at 04:32 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS

By a professional? As in Body/Paint shop? About 6 to 8 hours....., a day. When you consider sanding rough spots, whether or not it needs primer, masking, and drying in a drying tunnel. Yourself? If you own/buy/rent all the proper equipment, a little longer because you won't have a dry-cure room. Don't even think about trying this unless you have a tight garage. The dust, etc. outside will ruin it. And unless you really like the 'high'...brain damage from automotive paint fumes, be sure to have a proper respirator. Myself, no worries, I am already brain-damaged from growing up in the 60's

Best Answer Mark helpful
15,325

40 minutes to an hour if you have the proper roller brush. If you want it to match the existing old faded paint, have a good professional do it. If the bumper is plastic or rubber, it takes a special paint that will flex and adhere to the composition of the bumper. If it's a junker farm truck, do it yourself. If you want to take that girl somewhere from the dance, have it professionally done.

Best Answer Mark helpful

califcarson, all due respect, I am by no means trying to debate/argue/disagree but a roller?? And in 40 minutes? Really? I could certainly learn from you my friend. Never in a million years would have thought that possible

15,325

FordNut, It's all in the prep work. Actually my mother had to drive an 51 Ford around when we were on the farm. One day she came home with a gallon of green car paint and wanted my dad to paint the old rusty car. He kept putting it off until she had enough, and did paint the car with a roller brush. Did a good job of masking off the chrome and other stuff. From a distance of 25 feet, it looked good. It actually took her a bit longer than 40 minutes, but that wasn't allowing for the masking. :-) Sometimes a bit of humor helps. Dad didn't think it funny but couldn't say much at all. We kids thought it was very funny. My older brother still has the car. He just had it painted for a third time. Looks great.

114,095

Califcarson -- marked your answer helpful cause that's a good story. Thanks for sharing. I have also seen a car painted with a roller. The car actually looked pretty good. Teenage friend did his old truck. Back then we did not know any better and was making it happen. I guess to that's what " GET R DONE" in today's world. That being said I personally would never do that myself or advice someone too. Damn that brings back some good old memories of the engine pulling tree and all of us ganged up under it looking off under the hood of our patient of the day. Drive safe guys.