I have a 98 Camaro. It has t5 tranny in it. I can go in reverse fine but when I go forwards it will go about 5-10 feet and lock up

Asked by Feb 24, 2015 at 06:33 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Base

I can put it in reverse back up and go
forwards again repeatedly but it
keeps locking up. Previous owner
put new clutch kit in it. In neutral I let
out on clutch and it makes a grinding
noise but only when it's engaged.
Any ideas?

98,485

Scratch one T5 tranny, most likely ran it too low on lube, damage is done, rebuild or replace it

Could it be the pressure plate? Or throw out bearing by any chance?

50,765

Could be either the transmission or rear end, but since it makes a grinding noise in neutral with the clutch released it is most likely the transmission. Bad clutch wouldn't make it lock up when moving forward unless a piece was broken and getting jammed up in the bell housing which is VERY unlikely. Drop the fluid in the transmission, I'll bet it is full of metal shavings.

19,890

I'm with tennisshoes and Bob on this one. Sorry for your loss. Luckily it can be replaced/rebuild and any good trans shop for not a lot of money, or if you're handy you might look for one at a junkyard/swap meet/car show.

It was my cousins car before I got it. H blew the motor and I did the engine swap and put trans back I it. It wasn't low on fluid or anything wen it was put back in. I was with him when it locked up it ddnt make any loud noises or anything it just locked up. But it will go into reverse fine then go forwards couple feet and lock up but all u Got to do is back up and it unlock for a few more feet. If it was trans it wouldn't go into reverse rite?

appreciate y'all's advice

19,890

Reverse and the forward gears are not the same. You most likely have an issue with the forward gears not the clutch, throwout bearing, or forks. Time to rebuild or replace.

Well dropping the trans today so probly going to be rebuild lol. Any performance parts u can put into it?

19,890

Just depends on how much you want to put into it. The sky is the limit. I would look at Summit.com and Jeggs.com

I've built a few auto trans before but haven't built an manual. Any tips?

19,890

LOL the last manual I rebuilt was a Muncie Rock crusher.

Lol well the manual is just basically Rods and gears all that rite? Doesn't hav all the clutches and ball bearings and all that

19,890

The older ones were. The new stuff will most likely have sensors and wiring even in a manual.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Ok I have an update. I got it up on blccks put it in gear and all gears work fine. It isn't locking up but my clutch keeps falling out and coming back. The grinding noise is still constant tho?

19,890

Are the flywheel bolts all tight and not rubbing on anything? Is the starter disengaging all of the way?

50,765

Maybe something has broken in the clutch. I have never seen one be free in reverse and lock up moving forward and it be clutch related. This is odd because the engine and input shaft on the transmission turns in the same direction all the time and forward and reverse should make no difference. I guess the only good news is that you will have to pull the transmission anyway to get to the clutch. Please let us know what the exact problem ends up being.

50,765

Grinding noise could be the throw-out bearing.

Ill let y'all no pulling trans now. And is ther any easier way to find this thread? I have to keep searching through all of them

50,765

Go to my "my account" and the question activity tab.

It was the tranny guys 1st gear syncro had a chunk out of it and it was getting jammed in the gears. Thank y'all for all the info

19,890

Well there you go. If you have it apart this far replace as much as you can afford too. So you don't have to do this again any time soon.

Plan on doin a whole performance rebuild but I can't find anything on jegs or summit about the t5 wc

19,890

Very nice, good luck. Call them directly. They will have what you need.