2008 Mazda B3000 storage switch

10

Asked by Nov 22, 2015 at 11:50 AM about the 2001 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 DS Standard Cab SB

We seldom use our B3000 2008 in the winter. Often, the battery will be so low
that it cannot crank the engine because of the continuous curent drain
whenthe pickup sits idle for many weeks. is there a storage switch inthe
vehicule that I couls use to turn off the low but continuous battery drain while
stored?

65,845

I have 2 cars that I store for the winter. What you want to do is disconnect the negative (-) battery cable when you park it for the winter. You'll have to reset the clock and radio presets when you start it back up in the spring, but that's it. This will prevent the battery from dying during storage. My '00 Grand Prix gets parked in mid-December and sits until mid-April. When I hook the battery cable back up it starts right up like it was parked the night before. HTH. -Jim

10

Thanks JS, The problem is that we need to get the truck out maybe once a month. And I am too lazy to disconnect and then reconnect the battery cable. My Mazda Miata had a switch close to the fuse block inside the car. When I stored it for the winter, all I had to do was to turn this switch off. It would disconnect the electronics (radio, computer, etc). I was hoping that such a switch existed in my B3000. Thanks, René

8,810

I went to Wall Mart and bought a solenoid ... when I had my boat... wire a toggle switch to the On terminal. Be aware that just because you disconnected the battery that all batteries have "internal resistance" so it may go dead anyway

65,845

You're welcome. Glad to help. I have a disconnect switch on the negative battery terminal of my '94 Fleetwood. Even though I park it for the winter, it's not "dead" storage like the Grand Prix. That might work for you. NAPA and other auto parts stores will have it. They make disconnect switches for both top and side mount battery terminals. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
10

I have two vehicles I rarely drive in the winter, both are equipped with a "battery tender". They are relatively cheap to purchase and easy to install, and will keep the battery at full charge. When the vehicle is not going to be used for a long period of time just plug the battery tender into a household receptacle of 120V and your tender will keep the battery at full charge, they will not overcharge either, when battery is fully charged the tender just does a trickle charge. The battery tender is much better than any disconnect switch, who wants to resent the radio, clock, etc. every time you disconnect the battery. Great invention