Muffler and exhaust replacement

Asked by Jul 28, 2016 at 06:05 PM about the 2000 Mazda B-Series Pickup B2500 SX Standard Cab SB

Hi my mechanic said we need a whole new exhaust system.  I would rather repair if necessary and it seems the tailpipe was cut.  What do you think and is a repair possible.

Here is another picture too.

88,855

Looks like. The pipe was cut of really short, when they are that short it makes it hard to,get a good weld, plus the pipe looks really thin, there again hard to weld up cause you just keep blowing holes in it when you try welding it. I think he is giving you the straight scoop but try a local exhaust shop, they may have aftermarket parts that will be cheaper than factory.

Thanks the thing that makes me worry is he said it just fell off. It looks like saw marks. Would if simply fall off that way.

88,855

No, not like that, the pics do look like someone took the catalyst as it goes in front of the muffler, one of those little chain cutters or an electric sawzall can make short work of that.

Why would he do that? I feel like I am stuck and the price to fix with a new muffler intermediate pipe and tail pipe and gasket and bolt will be $305 on top of the new sway arm and ball joint for $414. What do you suggest? My total bill is $900 to get it inspected.

88,855

If the cat was plugged I can see it just too make it run, but he should have informed you of the before proceeding. This sounds like another FBN repair shop, Tell him to just weld in a piece of pipe and take it to a certified independent shop.

it was not plugged, he said it just fell off and he needs to replace it. Do you think he cut it so he can make more $$$$, do you really think it looks cut - I do.

88,855

I took your pics and greatly magnified them, they show signs of metal fatigue that is very recent approximately 180 degrees apart from each other, then there is signs of old fractures on the other sides of the pipe and the muffler, but just looking they do appear to have been cut. The only thing I can think of that can cause this is for the system to have come loose from it's mounts and start swinging around flexing the already weakened piping causing it too break off, the only thing I can't tell is what side came off first, when that happened there would have been some kind of noise that would have told me too stop ASAP. I'll try to send you a blow up of your pic, you can see the bright shiny places are new stress points and then the darker areas are the old stress points. as you can see some of the jagged edges showing a flexing before the breakage.

88,855

Double click on the pic.

11,585

Broken pipe.

Thanks I think I am being taken for a ride. The next questions is what do I do because the car is at the shop and the muffler is off. Am I stuck?

I had no idea that there was even a problem with the muffler when I dropped it off. It did not make any kind of sound that would be embarrassing to drive around.

88,855

Does it run? If so then finish the repairs it went in for, then drive it to a local muffler shop and see how much they would charge you for a system that is legal in your area. Aftermarket parts are way cheaper than OEM's.