Temperature guage

Asked by Dec 31, 2015 at 08:54 PM about the 1996 Mazda B-Series Pickup 2 Dr B2300 Standard Cab SB

My temperature guage is not working and hasn't
worked since I bought the truck.  My air and heat
work great however the air causes the check
guage light to come on after 10 minutes which
causes me to believe it's temperature related.  I
changed the temp sensor and it did nothing.  Any
ideas?

97,105

You need to find what the codes are instead of just throwing parts on it with hopes that you find it, the temperature gauge is not connected to the engine controls so it would not turn on the light. You can try grounding the gauge sender wire and see if the gauge goes full scale, if the gauge swings then the sender is bad if the gauge does not swing then you will have to remove the cluster and check to see if the gauge is getting power if it is then you have a bad gauge. HTH

There is no code, I've checked it a few times. There are only 4 gauges, the temp, oil, battery, and gas. All of them work except the temperature. The only other possibilities I can think of is an electrical issue or the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. One other thing that makes me think the cluster is bad is that the odometer doesn't work either. The rpm and speed do though.

97,105

Then just perform the gauge test as I described, that will tell you if you have to dig into the cluster.