Strange problem, 1991 Mazda b2600I

Asked by Dec 30, 2014 at 04:26 PM about the 1991 Mazda B-Series Pickup 2 Dr B2600i Standard Cab SB

So  having funny issues with this
truck, and I SUSPECT a timing issue,
but I should get some help from you
guys first.

So basically, my truck runs really
shaky when I'm stopped such as at a
stop sign or something. When I give
it just the SLIGHTEST amount of
gas, the RPMs drop to like 100 and it
runs so rough like it wants to die, but
it never dies completely. Then I give
it a little bit more gas and it runs fine.
It ONLY starts on the second try, and
on cold mornings maybe like the 6th
Also it's getting less than 9 mpg.
I changed my spark plugs hoping
that was the issue, but it changed
nothing. My distributor doesn't look
very old, and it's fairly clean. Same
with plug wires, no bulging or
cracking or anything like that.

what do you think?

I'd guess fuel injection pressure regulator. Are your plugs somewhat dirty and maybe wet even though they're new?

They may be. Also a piece of porcelain may have fell in when I was changing them, because it also developed a noticeable and consistent tick after I changed the plugs. It's just running so rough right now. How would I test the fuel injection pressure regulator?

When my 1992 B2600i (manual transmission, 2-wheel drive) had those symptoms, it was the ECM.

I had the same issue with mine. it was stumbling while idling once the engine warmed up. I spent many days trying to trace the issue. Did a compression test and leak down test and found no issues with the engine, checked for vacuum leaks and In the end it turned out to be the on board computer under the kick pad on the passenger side. I hit it with my fist and the problem went away. I suspect the computer will eventually shit the bed and I will have to replace it. For now its running fine, doesn't miss a beat.

I own a 90 b2600 and have been fighting with all sorts of problems. I've gone into replacing the cam chain and counter balance chain and guides. Valve springs and seals and a host of other things to get better gas mileage. So here's what I've found out. All the things I've read on everyone who owns these trucks has a love hate relationship with this truck. I wonder. Has anyone bothered to check the float and sending unit in the tank? I've noticed that when I'm on empty and fill up again that I only can put in about ten gallons and I have a 14 gallon capacity. Also. Have you had the timing checked? When I first bought my truck. The timing was at over 9 degrees. The base is 5. But with hi mileage it seems to run happier at 6. One way to check for a stretched timing chain is to remove the valve cover. Or if your timing is anove 6 degrees. It may be time to replace a few things. Improper timing can lead to a host of problems. If you are so inclined. With a mechanically inclined friend you can do it yourself. Rock Auto is a good source for parts. And they are alot cheaper than most Auto parts stores. Oh. And of course you'll need a shop manual. I've replaced the fuel regulator. The ignition control module as well. Also. There is one thing that most people completely ignore. A little sensor right on the front of the intake. It's the air temp sensor. It gets oil on it so it won't work properly. It needs to be cleaned from time to time. Hope this helps. Good luck!

If your truck won't start and you've checked​ starter. My suggestion is to look at the key switch. I am experiencing a problem with it not kicking over sometime​s. I know the switch is going bad. Seeing that we have probably turned that switch at least a million times in the in the life of that truck. Things wear out.