Can anyone help? My car wont start, it turns over but will not run.

335

Asked by Jan 03, 2014 at 08:47 PM about the 2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan RWD

I drove my lexus to work this morning and everything was fine, after work I tried to start
my car and it would not start.   This has never happened before, Ive checked fuses, oil,
and belt. The oil was really low but that wouldnt keep the car from starting. I had a carmd
check and it comes up yellow light but no code.  I was thinking it was fuel injector or
plugs, hoping it is something simple. Does anyone have any suggestions or has had this
happen before to them

Actually the motor oil being very low will prevent it from starting. A Lexus has that feature to prevent people that DON'T KEEP CHECK OF THE OIL from blowing the engine. That's why it didn't throw a code. Is it all that much trouble to pop the hood once a week and pull the dipstick?

470

I was wondering if u got the car to start. I had the same similar problem. Mine is an 02 is300 n it just didnt wana start one day n was not getting power to the relay. I took and tried a few things like the gas cut off sequence in the manual also did the ecu reset and still didnt start. I took and sprayed starter fluid in the intake n it started so that told me its a fuel problem so I replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator and it started right up. This is something lexus wanted to charge me 850 for. Hope this helps

Best Answer Mark helpful
335

No I havent got it started, how do you do the fuel cut off sequence and how do you reset the ecu

470

The car has a fuel cut off system. For u to reset it the manual says to turn the key to the acc setting n let it sit for a few seconds then turn key off then turn car on. As for the ecu reset disconnect the negative off the battery n let sit for like 5to10 min and reconnect. Ppl also used the ecu fuse under the hood in the fuse box in front of the battery but I found the battery thing lil easier to understand. Also have u checked to see if ur security light shuts off after u insert ur key? If it doesnt then u have a prob with ur immobilizer n prob need to reprogram it

335

Ive reset it by taking off negative terminal but still nothing, I've ordered a fuel pump because I've had a diagnosis done on it and the mechanic said thats what he thought it was. I will post if it was fuel pump or not, I have to wait a few days for shipping. How do I get to the fuel pump, isn't it under the back seat?

470

If u do the fuel pump u should get the fuel pressure regulator also bc they r both together... n yes the pump is under the back seat here is a like that might help u with pulling it out. It honestly took me less than an hr n its the first time ive done it. http://my.is/forums/f221/diy- walbro-255-fuel-pump-install-pics- alot-409785/

335

It was fuel pump, I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator in about 30 mins and I have never done it before. It was pretty easy, pull up on bottom back seat firmly and pull seat out, unscrew 3 nuts for cover, squeeze wiring harness to remove

335

Undo a clip from fuel line and pull off, unscrew about 8 screws and then pull out fuel filter at an angle and replace parts. It is very easy. Thanks jdm4life you were right

470

Yea its pretty easy job and u save alot of money that the dealer tries to charge. Thats good u got the car running Glad I could help

210

I do have an answer I need help my name is prince I also have a 02 is 300 I went home during my drive everything was great now my car is not starting and my radio and my dash board light does not come on I bought a brand new battery thinking it was my battery because auto zone said my battery was bad so I bought a new one and it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't fully turns over now my radio doesn't power up and my dashboard does not come on

210

I do not have an answer I need help my name is prince I also have a 02 is 300 I went home during my drive everything was great now my car is not starting and my radio and my dash board light does not come on I bought a brand new battery thinking it was my battery because auto zone said my battery was bad so I bought a new one and it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't fully turns over now my radio doesn't power up and my dashboard does not come on

335

Check your altinat or maybe crankshaft position sensors

210

So you think my altinator can be why my dash board does not lit up nor my power in my radio is coming on...but everything else works n the car it sounds as if it wants to start but just doesn't fully turns over

40

PrinceCharles1980 what did it end up being ?

10

Princecharles1980 im having the exact same problem with my car were you able to figure it out?

10

My stereo stopped working first then my whole car wouldnt crank over

470

Yes it was the fuel pump. Little expensive at the dealer so i ordered it at a parts store. Also replaced the fuel regulator due to it being in the gas tank connected to the pump

470

I didnt have the stereo issue but mite b an electronical issue a blown relay or fuse

40

My car it was the ignition switch

110

My car turns but won't start is300 2002

40

Ignition switch and I replaced crankshaft sensor too but i think it was the ignition but everybody always says fuel pump

335

Its just started a leak because it never use to lose oil at all but ive filled the oil reset the battery and still wont start. Ive also checked the fuel pump relay, relay is good but not getting power to the relay. A mechanic was saying it has something to do with starter wiring or the starter. I also have an interlock, do you think the interlock could cause the problem if there is something messed up with it?

140

Hey my is300 03 isn't starting I've checked the fuel pump and battery. I'm not getting any spark and no fuel is getting to the motor. my car turns but no start all the lights and electrical in the interior works but the motor just won't start

335

My problem was the fuel pump, simple to fix, it took me about 30 mins to change and I have never done it on my car before. But minnieminh I'm unsure really it could be a number of things like MAF sensor, bad fuel injectors, bad spark plugs, bad fuel, your not really giving enough information

20

i changed my fuel pump, got new plugs, new coil, car has spark, and when u turn the key it trys to start, no fuel. we checked the fuel pressure while pump was on but nothing, so we checked filter, there is fuel all the way threw it and in the lines, but not to the motor i did not change the regulator. didnt have the extra 20$ at the time to get it, and i know there is no pressure y im clueless on, my only car i need it running asap. plz let me know what u guys come up with, thanx

25

Had same thing happen to my 01 GS300. Would not start or jump. Replaced battery to no avail. Would not start and no power on dash and radio. I had 5 fuses blown and had to replace relay. No idea why and how.

I have a 98 Nissan frontier I was on my way to work, and my truck started to make a funny noise an it started to slow itself down without me touching the brake well I pulled off to the side of the road and it showed check engine and oil sensor light I lift the hood an it started smoking not real bad I checked the oil it was dry well I bought three quarts of oil put it in tried to crank it back up but wouldn't start. It tries to crank, but nothing I need help

335

Hey Joe this is a forum for Lexus not nissan

20

A 2004 IS 300 will start but none of the other electrical functions -work? Can't get it out of the garage. Can't shift. No buttons work...other than starting the car Problem started after changed battery because reversed the two battery cables for a moment...I presume that wasn't good. Replacing fuses did not help. Anyone with similar problems...and hopefully solution?

30

I don't have an answer, but i just got a new key programmed for my lexus IS200. It now starts but shuts down almost immediately. My mechanic can't get a code to show what the problem is? Any suggestions?

60

Hi my lexus is200 won't start turn over but won't start drive fine today Aswell..any idears?

110

My 1998 Lexus 400 Gs will not turn completely over to crank l think its the alarm system, not the fuel pump,how can l reset or disarm the alarm system so it will start up

110

Where is the fuel relay switch to a 1998 400gs Lexus,l tried everything a fuel pump a crank sensor, new battery will not turn completely over sound like it is out of gas! Any suggestions @vickiclark

10

make sure the gear is on P. move to to another and bring it back to P. solved my problem.

70

Hey guys if your fuel pump is bad would the car start sometimes cause my 2003 lexus gs300 just started with the problem the first time it shut off than it wont start after a week i just tried to start it and everything was normal 4hrs later now it wont start any advice

50

I have a 2000 ls400 my car turns over but wont start after sitting for an hour or so it takes about 3 tries but always starts. I replaced the battery and nothing changed. Then I noticed the positive terminal was rusted old etc, so I got one right from lexus put it in boom solved the problem the car started every morning first shot. after 2 weeks and a night of heavy rains the next morning I go to start same thing turns over but wont start, it always starts but takes a few tries. Im just clusless here becuz after I put in the factory terminal the car was fine and why after 2 weeks am I having the same problem any ideas guy im lost on this one

50

Ok y'all 2004 Lexus es 330 replaced fuel pump turns over won't start been working with it all day like it's not getting fuel got a half tank play with it till battery runs low jump it to charge my boyfriend sprayed starting fluid on the butterfly that's what I've always called it and it backfires has all fluid including oil I don't know a lot about cars but I know some is there a fuel injector? I don't think it's alternator because it doesn't pull but idk any guesses?

50

Oh and to add to it several people are having problems starting their vehicles after the heavy rains the past couple of days in Houston is it just a coincidence?

5

I have an IS350C and twice after work the car would not stay running. It temperature outside was in the mid- to high-90's. The car would turn over, then immediately shut off. A friend suggested trying to put the car in gear before it shut down. This worked and I was able to drive to the dealership to have it checked. When I went back the next day, they found nothing wrong and there were no error codes. My question... is there something that prevents the car from starting in extreme heat?

Hi I need help I have a 1992 luxes want crank it was drive in really slow then it shoot off want crank need help please

30

hi I need help my battery was flat jump started my aristo 98 and it started ,immediately stopped .now just cranks but not run .replaced pump ,alternator and plugs to no avail .battery and oil does not show on dash body when key is on ON position. Tried spray it runs on idle and stops the moment spraying stops please help

70

My 07 lexus rx was running fine until I parked got back in and it would not start, it would turn over but won't crank , please help me

10

Hi i have a 1997 aristo just pulled up to a store got out the car went inside got back to the car and it wouldn't start and check engine light is not coming on either and it was working can you guys help me out please my car been at the stow for 4 days now.

Using an old key I can program the key so it starts, but have tried over a dozen times and can not get the remote keyless entry to program, the module in the keyless entry is s brand new one less than a month old and is genuine Lexus not some Chinese aftermarket one off eBay cost me $80 Australian, I want to have 2 masters and my valet key just for piece of mind, how do I tell if thew previous owner had the max/too many remotes programmed and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.....

20

I have solve my car problem (Lexus ES 300 1996). I don't know how other Lexus are built, but my Lexus did not have a Battery Hold Down on the car and that is why I had problems, at times, with starting the car. Sometimes, it could be that you have a very small battery that is loose (which causes the electronic flow to not properly function) or simply you have no hold down, which without it, when driving the car (into bumps ESPECIALLY), the battery will move which will cause it to not properly generate power when it starts. I had NO PROBLEMS (thank the Cow Gods, LOL) after putting a hold down on my car.

Not answer-- Problem: My 01' es 300 will not start unless I punch the gas (my guy told me to) or refuses to idle at correct rpm after starting unless I keep giving it gas until it warms up. Did not start this until the weather changed to lower temps for Fall. She runs like a champ and starts the rest of the day. Any incite?