Lost Key

10

Asked by Mar 08, 2011 at 01:36 PM about the 2006 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr Hatchback w/Manual

Hope for some help here.  I have a 2006 Rabbit I bought in 2008.  Love it.  Keys got lost.  Took to VW dealership and they ordered two sets of blanks on 2 separate occasions.  Blanks do not work.  they suspect keys may have been re keyed once before and now vin# doesnt match blanks.  what to do.  any suggestions would be most helpful.

1,625

Do you have the ignition key to start the car ? If not and the car was rekey'd it would have been done by a Volkswagen dealer which would have had to reprogram the ECM to take the new ignition key in order for it to start. The dealer should have made a recorded of this to your VIN# so any other Volkswagen delaer would be able to look it up and issue you a set of keys for the set up. You may have to trace back to the original owner and find out exactly what happened. Also double check the VIN # on your ownership to the one in the windshield I've seen them not match sometimes but that is a whole new can of worms you don't want to get in to hopefully they do match.

10

No keys at all. The car is at a VW dealership now and they can not rekey the car. At a total loss as what to do next.

have a new keyswitch installed.

1,625

The dealership has to do something to fix it, are they telling you they can not fix your car ?? Take it to another dealership and I'd be writing a formal complaint to head office at Volkswagen about that dealership wouldn't help you. Thats total BS the dealership can and should fix your car at your request, easily enough to replace the key locks in the car and reflash the ECM (for a dealer) to except the new chip ignition key.