1991 Vanagon oil

Asked by May 15, 2013 at 04:39 PM about the 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

What's the best oil brand and viscosity for my 1991 Vanagon camper with 160,000 miles?

4,715

20w-50 synthetic blend... check out Vanagon.com for tech tips and other Vanagon related info...and get uourself a Bentley manual so you can keep your Vanagon alive forever!

10

I live in Maryland in the middle-eastern U.S. Several years ago I switched to 15W-40 as recommended by one of the message boards. The engine on the 1991 Vanagon GL is prone to sticky lifters - a clicking noise when you start the engine that may take a while to dissipate. Switching to 15W-40, using a good filter, and changing the oil hot made this problem go away for me.