mpg for a 1991Volkswagen Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition

Asked by Nov 14, 2012 at 01:00 AM about the 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

how many mpg does 1991Volkswagen Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition get? how realiable is this car?

4,395

The biggest "issue" with the 2.1L Vanagon drive train is the engine itself...a magnesium block with aluminum heads causes some powerful galvanic reactions...but this can be managed by strict adherance to the maintenance intervals. http://www.vanagon.com/info/reliability/index.htm That being said, the vehicle can be quite reliable...mileage around town should be around 15mpg...on the highway, 18-19mpg. Many in the Vanagon community at large have been transplanting TDI and Subaru engines into their Vanagons to improve power and/or fuel mileage...but the conversions are not cheap...and not for the weak-hearted.

4,395

Be sure to check out vanagon.com When I had my 1986 Vanagon, they were tremendous help for me.

1,205

I've had very good success with my Vanagon; 1991 model, owned since 1992. I did the headgaskets when it was ten years old, around 100K. It now has 180K, and the problem hasn't recurred yet. I use the VW headgasket sealant on both sides of the "headgasket", and the cylinder sleeve liners are vital to replace neatly while the car is opened up. As for fuel ecomomy, mine's an automatic Westfalia, and will do low to mid teens locally and around 19 on the highway.