VW Westy vanagon repair

Asked by Sep 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM about the 1990 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Camper Passenger Van

My 1990 VW Westy vanagon has been sitting for several years.  What repairs can I expect to get it running again?

89,285

New Battery, Plugs, Wires, Air and fuel filter. If there was any gas in it you will need to remove it and hope the fuel pump is still good. Oil change with new filter, transmission fluid and filter change, not sure how good the tires are. I would also check and replace any and all vacuum lines....Good Luck with her...

Thanks for your help. May have more questions later if that is ok. Jim

89,285

Sure Jim send email me from this account I check that almost everyday...

10

Same as joemom lists, but add to this complete brake system flush with new brake fluid, new brake hoses; flush-out cooling system and add new VW-approved coolant; replace all the rubber fuel lines (because they had ethanol-gas in them when it was parked and are not rotten). Once running, have a radiator shop pressure-test the cooling system, as other rubber coolant hoses May be cracked and leaking puddles in your parking spot. Tighten all the hose clamps in the cooling system; this may stop minor drips and prevent replacing coolant hoses which are otherwise OK.

10

Sorry for not catching the typo before posting. Ethanol-gas rots rubber fuel hose, thus the previous answer should state: ( . . . and are now rotten). Replace with ethanol-resistant hose (a Goodyear Product).