My 1990 Vanagon runs fine most of the time but overheats when I take it on the highway. When I have it in forth gear it starts loosing power and slowing down and won’t speed up when I press completely down on the gas peddle, but when I take it out of forth gear it can rev up. The oil light never comes on and it does not seem to be loosing oil. Sometimes after driving awhile the coolant light starts flashing and it may or may not need radiator fluid.

Asked by Apr 15, 2007 at 02:30 PM about the 1990 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

20,820

Hi cyporter. You seem to have a few issues going on there. I'm guessing but the overheating problem on the highway seems like a thermostat issue. The fourth gear issue could be tranny put that theory just doesn't sit well with me based on what I know ... which is next to nothing in this instance. You need to get this car in the hands of a professional to avoid larger and more expensive problems. Good luck!