What it he cause for th vw vanagon 1990 dying on long graduated hills? It is fine then starts lossing power.

Asked by Jan 08, 2014 at 06:30 PM about the 1990 Volkswagen Vanagon Base Passenger Van

The float/ gas gauge is not accurate.  When I pull over and sit for few minutes, it starts up fine. It has plenty of power.  If i have to go up a hill slow and gradual incline , it will lose power .  Is there pulling from bottom of tank  or some thing in the tank blocking the fuel flow.

4,655

Some possible issues from the ECU may be the culprit: http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_intermittent_syndrome.htm