what could be causing my battery to drain

50

Asked by Oct 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM about the 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6

263,835

Many things, nothing I can tell you is the "smoking gun". You will need to get a multimeter and start probing looking for voltage where there shouldn't be if you know what your doing. If not,a local mechanic will help. How old is the battery? Maybe it's just old and tired and doesn't hold a charge.

50

I just replaced my battery a month ago but recently my car just stop running, it makes a noise on the right side of the car like something is running( electrical) and shouldnt like the mirror it sounds like it trying to adjust

263,835

There is your answer, something is activating when it shouldn't. You will need to have a mechanic who can diagnose your electrical issue. Electrical problems are sometimes hard to pinpoint, but you have a good start.

20

Just happen to me,VW had to erase the memory and reinstall it. 220 bucks.

20

they reinstalled the software back into the computer.

60

Don't buy a new battery!!!! I did just this and yet, I need a jump start, almost every day!!!! Like the previous poster, I here noises from the passenger side, like something is being automatically adjust. Sometimes rattling noises as well. WTH!!! I make sure all lights , radio is off, before removing key. Then I wait at least, 2 minutes, after locking up, to make sure no lights or even the radio mysteriously comes back on. Like most of you, I DREAD, taking my Touareg, to the rip off dealership. Don't trust those bastards, Period!! I am determined to fix this and other issues on my own, or with the help of a trusted mechanic. Fyi...if ever, you have the battery replaced, and your radio has no sound. ..do not run to a mechanic, or the dealer!!! Save your money and sanity, by removing fuse #12 ( passenger side ) pull out for 1minute. Before replacing the fuse back in its slot, turn the ignition key on ( to the right) NO NEED TO TURN THE ENGINE ON OR OVER. After turning the key to right, replace fuse back into slot. Boom!!! You've got sound!! OK it was the greatest feeling to know how much money I saved. 300.00!!!! Hope this helps someone out there!!

60

Correction. " sounds as though something is being adjusted."

Hi, we have a 2012 Treg and although I love this car I hate the electrics. electronics as we are having one prob after the other. Currently we have been encountering flat batteries, after VW did a current draw down test it was found C51 fuse was still alive when car was asleep so 1 amp draw was causing problem. To replace and fit new radio $2994.75.....that's unrealistic. Radio still works, can change channels, nav still tracks, accepts commands, just no volume. I can't beleive that they dont have a division that can repair these modules

Just pull the fuse and check it to see if it is blown...usually blows at the bend, but not always... 10 amp...will cost you about 50 cents per fuse. Missouri Farmer and multiple VWBenz/BMW owner.. Farmers learn to do their own maint.