When turning ignition all lights come on but nothing happens for starting.

210

Asked by Jul 14, 2013 at 01:03 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX

Moved car after sitting for couple of weeks. Turned off.  Came back out approx 10 min
later and tried to start car but there was nothing.  Ignition lights all turn off but no sound of
starting.   Certain electrical functions work (radio, fan, power locks) but others do not like
remote entry, power windows, power sunroof.  Battery appears to be good.  Put on
battery charger just to check.  Electrical switch perhaps?

get a NEW battery if this one is more than five years old...if it is young slap a battery charger on there for eight hours~ you can check the date on the "knock-off" labels on the top of the battery~

Clean the connection from the 1/0 battery cable to the chassis/ground...undo the bolt and coarse wirebrush that spot and the lug too....put them back together, not only does this connection provide the necessary AMPerage for the starter...connection is shared by the onboard computer....kind of a touchy situation~

210

Thinking it could be the battery; kinda makes sense considering the symptoms. How do you get the battery out of there? Large plastic cover must come off somehow. Any tips?

look at the date on the knock-off labels...this will indicate of the batteries first charge~ five years old is too many...there is a mechanical clamp across the top with 12-13 mm hex bolts...use a penetrant (not too much) if you need to break 'em free~

sure the cover just clips in/clips out of there~ a large screwdriver or no tools needed~

210

Argh! Put in new battery, still doing same thing. No crank. Any other ideas?

the chassis ground has the necessary area to pull 300 cold cranking amps...the red wire that goes to the solenoid should also be free of corrosion...check the ground strap leading to the motor block...this one also must have a 1/0 battery cable connecting it (or a braided connection) obviously you are not getting the needed amperage to rotate the starter around...good that you got a new battery, have to make sure the power gets to the starter~

You have to wirebrush the chassis SHINY...this one wants to re-weld it's connection with every use....it is touchy business~

210

Someone mentioned to me the idea of my security system possibly being engaged thus causing my situation. Sort of is believable considering the symptoms. I've noticed the red light is not flashing on the door. Is there a way to reset security?

disconnect the battery cable for 15 seconds....pump the brakes switch the a/c off and on...then put the cable back on...this should clear any codes~

for under twenty bucks, a small handheld scanner can read and CLEAR THE CODES~

645

If it's manual check out the clutch sensor

30

I have a 99 Volkswagen Passat I just purchase off my friend when I turn the key off the mileage stays on and so does the time on dash ...why

40

Check your 10 amp fuses on the inside of your driver door... I have a 99 passat and a 99 gti that have both done this and it was just a fuse

Check the battery terminals, my car did the same thing and it was because my negative terminal was cracked and even though it seemed tight enough it wasn't. I put a new terminal on and that solved the problem.

20

I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 Passat. Turning ignition lights come off but there is no crank. I was wondering if you could solve your issue.

Check for a corroded or broken little blue wire to the back of the alternator. That fixed mine. Everything else worked, but just 1 click when I tried to start