Help? Frustrated with "New To Me" Passat - Video Test drive

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 02:35 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6

Hello.. I am frustrated as heck with my "new to me" car!

I have a 2002 Passat that is acting odd.. It is in excellent condition and ran perfect when purchased not 4months ago.
Since then a Coil pack was replaced, tune up w/plugs and wires etc. trying to fix this issue.

Intermittently, It still has been chugging like a cylinder is dead.. It will also over rev the RPM as if a slipping clutch when it is an automatic.
Then sometimes when still warm, you start it up and it runs fine.
It seems the time for it to run well again is increasing between cooling and warming.

You push the gas and it hesitates and sputters the entire time with little power until warm and a restart.
It must be something simple, I would think..
I read possibly a Speed Sensor?

Here is the diagnostic report from the shop.  PDF format

Video Test drive: (64meg mp4 3min video)
Near the end it runs fine after a restart

Looks like the hyper links above do not work. Copy / Paste them to see PDF Shop report and MP4 Video test Drive.

They work just fine in a hyperlink...for me anyway. Matter of fact O'Reillys scanner shows your Passat as a 2003

Anyway, one of the suggest 'fixes' is replace ECM. But that's too expensive to try on a guess. It's an engine coolant sensor problem, and if that is not sending the right signal TO the ECM it's maybe not going in to closed loop, ECM always 'thinks' the car is cold and giving it a rich cold-start fuel/air trim ...which points right to P0172. Fits perfectly

What is an ECM? Electronic Counter Measures in case of submarine attack? hehe I should ask O'reilly's about that because the car is a 2002 given the manual in the glove box. Did you not see that in the video? Is there a youtube video that shows how to replace the "ECM" maybe?

Or, a repair video for the engine coolant sensor..

Chris Van Kleeck

The coils should be replaced as a set, with factory VW parts. They seem to go bad in quick succession and aftermarket ones aren't as good as the originals.

Chris Van Kleeck

My mistake, I assumed this was a 1.8T Passat. I'd pull up the ignition wires to make sure they're not soaking in oil due to internally leaking valve cover gaskets. I can't open the link, so I'm just considering what's most likely to make a V6 Passat chug or sputter.