how can i get my front diff. off with out snapping bolts? or if i do are they easy to find and replace?

25

Asked by Nov 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

removing my oilpan and can't get the front diff. off the mounting bracket. how would i go about getting it off?

just remove the bolts,they are tight,use a breaker bar on them,they wont break.

25

to whom ever said that the bolts wont break ............ BS can we say SNAP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! yeah they broke. heres hoping that your not a mechanic.

you should have used a air gun,and since you broke the bolts,who is not the mechanic,ever heard of 10w40 to spray on bolts before you try to remove a bolt.

85

cant say i've ever heard of using 10w40 on bolts to aid in their removal.... using a penetrating lubricant like WD40 or Moovit, etc. or even the good old fashioned mexican smoke wrench with a "cold flame" and in the defense of the guy who offered the advice on using the johnson bar, that should of worked without a problem r u sure u were turning it the right way? i know it sounds stupid but it happens because those bolts r made strong and wouldnt be that rusted.

yea I ment wd 40,was just finishing another post,still had the 10 w 40 on my mind.you try to help people out best you can,they screw up and its our fault because they dont know what they doing.you cant fix stupid.

85

lol true enough, cant teach it either lol ppl gotta realize its an advice column 2 help them with their problems not a definate solution, they do still have 2 think on their own cus we cant b their 2 hold their hand every step of the way, have a good 1 man keep er' between the ditches

+ 2.

65

Q: ~ Look up more MICHIGAN mechanical SOLUTIONS. Keep going or get someone that does it everyday.

10

Mine broke as well. I think you are talking about the two bolts that hold the center pumpkin to the frame mount in the center of the axle. I have since decided that if I did it again I would unbolt the mount from the frame. There is only one bolt and since it is steel on steel instead of steel bolts in aluminum, it will be rusty, but it might not have welded itself in there. So, to get the aluminum differential housing out, after I broke the center bolts off, I cut the frame mount with my air chisel. Then I bought a new one of those. Now I am left with two broken bolts sticking out of the front differential. I cut the back sides where they broke off, flush with the air cutoff. Then I soaked the broken area with penetrant. I then took some washers and put them over the threaded bolt ends and tightened down on the nuts with my air impact wrench, at the same time I heated the aluminum mounts. You must be careful not to overheat and melt it. I also used some wet rags to keep the pinion seal area from getting too hot. Using this method ,I was able to jack out the broken bolts. This is a hell of a lot of work but what else can you do. Worked for me. PS those bolts were so welded in there by galvanic corrosion that nothing would have worked to get them out while that axle was still in the vehicle. Anything you put back in there corrodes because of the dissimilar metals. Good going Suzuki!