Car won't start

Asked by Feb 17, 2016 at 05:57 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX

I ahve a 2000 volkswagen passat with a manual transmission. Drove it and
it ran fine. After work it started just fine only noticed that all of a sudden it
didn't want to rev up like normal. While driving noticed that I had no power
when pressing the gas pedal. Also when clutch was depressed the brake
pedal was very hard. Shut the car off and later that day went to go start it.
The engine rolls over but does not start. I have replaced the crankshaft
position sensor and the cam shaft sensor. Still does not start. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

5,705

sounds like you lost vacuum somewhere - thus the reason for the hard break pedal - is the check engine light on? if so you need to start there - have it scanned and retrieve the codes

I had it on a reader today. Codes are saying cam shaft position sensor open/short bank 1 B+ the same thing for bank 2. Have replaced the battery as well and now spark plugs. Still just rolls over but does not seem to fire.

9,325

is this a 1.8 turbo or a 2.8 vs with 30 valves ?

2.8 with 30 valve. A guy at Napa said he is almost positive it is the accelerator pedal sensor. Have not ordered it yet as don't really want to spend the money and it not be the problem.

9,325

Ok so when was the last time the timing belt was done ? Often enough a cam issue can be attributed to a old timing belt that has lost some teeth and jumped a tooth on the cams. Its also possible that the sensor has a bad connection (aka rotted wire or or sensor has gone bad.) a couple of things i would check is lift the engine covers and start tracking the vacum lines down. THe 2.8 hasa vacum line that goes over the head behind the oil filler cap that loves to break due to heat. also i would pull the crank case hoses and check for sludge clogging the lines. This can also be a cause for this issue.

In my original post i forgot to mention that when i have the clutch pressed in I have ample power and the engine revs just like normal. No knocking or anything. I parked the car in my driveway and had it in neutral and got out and listened to engine before shutting it off and still did not hear any knocking. It sounded just like normal. I have checked all the vacuum lines and they are good. I also checked the hoses and they are free of sludge. The timing belt is tight on both cam sprockets. I used my phone to take a video as i tried to start it and noticed that the cam on the passenger side in not turning as i roll it over yet the acc belt is turning. I have not checked the drivers side yet to see if that one turns when trying to start it. Any suggestions?

9,325

how many miles are on your clutch system? you might just need a new clutch plate