No power in engine

Asked by Nov 10, 2013 at 08:49 AM about the 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS

Hi, I have recently bought VW Passat 1.8T 20V 2000 model. While on motorway car
overheated and engine cutoff. Called a roadside mechanic and issue was leakage in
radiator. All fixed and now the engine has no power. Engine knocks as soon as I put
foot on accelerator when driving. It drives though but I have to release gas as soon as
engine knocks, it's like shakes. A local mechanic said because it overheated the
timing has jumped and thus needs new timing belt and waterpump. Please advise!

No when you over heat an engine like that you cause damage to internal parts at the very least amount of damage that can be done when over heating an engine is head gasket blowing. You need to have a further inspection done on the engine to insure the mechanical parts have not exceeded there usability have this done at another mechanics shop. In my honest,

You are describing the classic blown head gasket sound, most likely caused by the overheat, it is blown between cylinders so the sound you are hearing is both cylinders igniting at the same time, don't drive it any more or further damage will result.

Thank you guys. Road side mechanic AA guy said the engine is ok. Took to first mechanic and he initially said that the car was running on 2 or 3 cylinders but when put on machine, no errors or warnings came. He checked the plugs and they were dry also. He said the coil is fine as well. The second mechanic gave the diagnosis off timing jump and replacement, but he never checked my car. It was what I told him re. sound of engine and overheating. Just to add, when the car over heated, the temp needle just got slightly above half way and the engine automatically cut-off.

By the way, car has done 87K miles and timing belt never changed!!

Doesn't anyone do compression tests anymore?

Yes the first mechanic did compression test and said all ok. This problem developed and increased gradually after the radiator was changed. First it was slight knock and gradually it increased. At idle the car is fine, but when I rev, it comes around 3000rpm or at slightly more. And when I drive, it knocks in 1st gear, but if i dont increase the speed it wont come. For example, I start and drive, at low rev it will be ok and as soon I want to increase speed it will come, I then change gear to let say 2nd, it will come and continuous in 3rd etc.

Have you tried resetting the ECM? I still think it is something wrong with the basic engine, timing, head or pistons.

I have decided to take the car to VW and get full diagnosis from them. I am more inclined to think its timing belt. Few hours ago I started the car after a week and it started immediately and was no engine noise i.e. knocking. Engine was slightly louder than before but no knocking or cracking noise. Honestly, I am completely oblivious to what is going on with my car.

It never overheated since change of radiator, water level I checked and its at the maximum. Yes it's a shame honestly, full service history with one previous owner. Only thing the last owner didn't do was to change the timing belt!