I have a1999 V6 VW passat it will crank but not start

50

Asked by Jan 19, 2013 at 08:36 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Passat 4 Dr GLS V6 Sedan

I change spark plugs, wires, timing belts fine, fuel pump, 2 camshaft position sensors. It is getting fuel and spark but
it will not start it just cranks

2,595

OK ,I have gone over this before any engine needs three things to start,it needs fuel ,spark and timing,any one thing is missing. ,it will not run,I have to question your methods.obviously you have LOTS of money to spend on unnessecary parts replacement.Why the fuel pump?what was the fuel pressure and how was the fuel flow? Why the cam sensors,did you have a CEL with cam sensor codes?Not knowing what your ability to properly diagnose is I will refrain from helping you to keep. Throwing parts at a car in the hopes that one will hit the target.Basics get back to basics,you say timing belt is ok? Did you replace the belt?if so did you use the proper tools?You need to be certain that it is properly set on number one cylinder.As spark and injector pulse are referenced from proper setup.I need more information from you as to exactly what has been done before can help you further

50

The timing belt was changed by VW right after I bought it. I changed the fuel pump do to it wasn't giving enough pressure. VW told me that only a few sensors that would stop it from running so I changed the 2 cam shaft position sensors because the car giving that code and they said that the cam sensors was one of them and there are about 2 or 3 other sensors that will no let it start also they say. I wish I had money like that to drop in this car lol.  

50

I was doing 55 on the highway when I got on the gas so could the speed limit (65) my engine check light pop on and a few times then the car degenerated I pulled over and tryed to start it but all it did was crank but not turn over enough to start

2,595

what sort of condition is the battery in?is it turning over fast enough ?Normal cranking speed is around 300 rpm?If it is cranking too slowly the voltages will drop due to the starter motor drawing all of the amperage,other circuits will not have enough voltage to operate properly.

50

It is a interstate battery its only a year old. I had my uncle check it to make sure it was fine and it was. No it is not turning fast enough it stays under 100 rpm. Every thing electronic on the car works like windows, radio, locks, alarm system, air, lights all that works just find. I will be taking my battery to autozone and have it checked for amps because it has enough volts.

50

crank sensor or throttle body temp

My 01 passat stalled after I stopped at a stop sign I pushed gas pedal it accelerated as I pushed pedal more down I felt the car began to slow down I put the car in neutral and parked turned key off and tried starting it and got nothing it cranks over just fine but won't start I push gas pedal and it seems to do nothing