My 99 vw passat 1.8t gls sedan will not start. Power turns on but when I try to turn the engine on it doesnt do anything no noise or anything !!? Could this be a starter or ignition problem?

5

Asked by Dec 10, 2014 at 03:07 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Passat 4 Dr GLS 1.8T Turbo Sedan

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

8 Answers

43,785

You may just have a weak battery. If it is an old battery, like more than five years, you may want to replace it. Try jumping it with another vehicle. If she turns right over, I would replace the battery. If no extra vehicle, put a volt meter on the battery. If below 12 volts, replace. Try this simple starter test: Jack up the front and locate the starter. Have someone hold the key to ON, like they are trying to start the car. While they are holding the key, rap on the starter with a hammer. If the car suddenly starts or turns over, you need a new starter.

Best Answer Mark helpful
5

Do you think the altinater would have to do anything with that? And thank you that helps alot

11,275

Well i can tell you this This is probly likely your starter that is the issue. If your under the car check the wire that goes from the points to the solinode. on the early model vw's and audis this cable tends to rot off and then randomly some time it will just pop right off. If your car has sounded a bit weak starting or struggled a bit this is the cause in an audi/vw 90% of the time the other times it is usually the battery 10% of the time.

43,785

If you have a volt meter you can test the hot side of the alternator. Should be close to 14 volts. If you don't have a volt meter, bring your car to Autozone, they will test it for free. I know the older VW's had a volt meter on the dash. If you have one, it should be reading around 14 while driving.

5

I was going to auto zone but the car dont even start anymore so I have no way of driving it

43,785

Do you own a battery charger with the 50 amp engine start feature? That should get your engine to turn over if it's a battery issue. Or you can do what I said in the previous post. Jack the car up and rap the starter with a hammer. That should get one last start out of it.

5

Ok thank you everybody.

11,275

be sure to be gentle if you do this its not to hard to crack the starters casing when your wailing on it in an audi or vw. Also you will most likely need a long solid bar anyways to do this since the starter is often much deeper in the car then you can reach wit ha regular swing of a hammer. While your down there check what i mentioned the wires i was talking about should be staring you right in the face when you crawl under there. Its a thick line bettwen the little cyclinder and hte big one. if its rotted off this is your problem and smacking it won't help.

Your Answer

Passat

Looking for a Used Passat in your area?

CarGurus has 25,799 nationwide Passat listings starting at $1,000.

ZIP:

Volkswagen Passat Experts

  • #1
    tenspeed
    Reputation
    1,470
  • #2
    Tom Demyan
    Reputation
    1,350
  • #3
    Chrisand Edwards
    Reputation
    1,330
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Volkswagen Jetta
566 Great Deals out of 33,516 listings starting at $1,000
Used Honda Accord
859 Great Deals out of 79,209 listings starting at $1,444
Used Toyota Camry
1,084 Great Deals out of 76,311 listings starting at $1,400
Used Audi A4
235 Great Deals out of 11,942 listings starting at $1,899
Used BMW 3 Series
1,061 Great Deals out of 33,091 listings starting at $1,428
Used Nissan Altima
1,172 Great Deals out of 74,890 listings starting at $900
Used Hyundai Sonata
763 Great Deals out of 53,222 listings starting at $1,499
Used Honda Civic
696 Great Deals out of 53,255 listings starting at $1,495
Used Volkswagen Golf
79 Great Deals out of 3,185 listings starting at $995
Used Chevrolet Malibu
1,057 Great Deals out of 57,042 listings starting at $995
Used Volkswagen GTI
121 Great Deals out of 7,921 listings starting at $1,490
Used Audi A6
159 Great Deals out of 7,101 listings starting at $1,800

Used Cars For Sale

2017 Volkswagen Passat For Sale
34 Great Deals out of 3,518 listings starting at $12,900
2016 Volkswagen Passat For Sale
46 Great Deals out of 1,166 listings starting at $7,987
2015 Volkswagen Passat For Sale
96 Great Deals out of 3,173 listings starting at $7,991
2014 Volkswagen Passat For Sale
99 Great Deals out of 2,257 listings starting at $6,987
2013 Volkswagen Passat For Sale
90 Great Deals out of 2,170 listings starting at $5,500

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.