My 99 vw passat 1.8t gls sedan will not start. Power turns on but when I try to turn the engine on it doesnt do anything no noise or anything !!? Could this be a starter or ignition problem?

Steven Esparza

Asked by Dec 10, 2014 at 03:07 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Passat 4 Dr GLS 1.8T Turbo Sedan

You may just have a weak battery. If it is an old battery, like more than five years, you may want to replace it. Try jumping it with another vehicle. If she turns right over, I would replace the battery. If no extra vehicle, put a volt meter on the battery. If below 12 volts, replace. Try this simple starter test: Jack up the front and locate the starter. Have someone hold the key to ON, like they are trying to start the car. While they are holding the key, rap on the starter with a hammer. If the car suddenly starts or turns over, you need a new starter.

Best Answer
Steven Esparza

Do you think the altinater would have to do anything with that? And thank you that helps alot

Well i can tell you this This is probly likely your starter that is the issue. If your under the car check the wire that goes from the points to the solinode. on the early model vw's and audis this cable tends to rot off and then randomly some time it will just pop right off. If your car has sounded a bit weak starting or struggled a bit this is the cause in an audi/vw 90% of the time the other times it is usually the battery 10% of the time.

If you have a volt meter you can test the hot side of the alternator. Should be close to 14 volts. If you don't have a volt meter, bring your car to Autozone, they will test it for free. I know the older VW's had a volt meter on the dash. If you have one, it should be reading around 14 while driving.

Steven Esparza

I was going to auto zone but the car dont even start anymore so I have no way of driving it

Do you own a battery charger with the 50 amp engine start feature? That should get your engine to turn over if it's a battery issue. Or you can do what I said in the previous post. Jack the car up and rap the starter with a hammer. That should get one last start out of it.

Steven Esparza

Ok thank you everybody.

be sure to be gentle if you do this its not to hard to crack the starters casing when your wailing on it in an audi or vw. Also you will most likely need a long solid bar anyways to do this since the starter is often much deeper in the car then you can reach wit ha regular swing of a hammer. While your down there check what i mentioned the wires i was talking about should be staring you right in the face when you crawl under there. Its a thick line bettwen the little cyclinder and hte big one. if its rotted off this is your problem and smacking it won't help.