What is the proceedure to replace the o ring and gasket on the oil filter housing on my 98 passat?

30

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 02:42 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Passat 4 Dr GLS 1.8T Turbo Wagon

My oil filter housing is leaking really bad.

4,655

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7UdKH8jZLk A replacement o-ring for the filter is included with the filter purchase. It could also be the o-ring for the oil-cooler which mounts between the filter and the engine block. During colder months, these really show their age and I recommend replacing them every few years. I recommend obtaining a maintenance manual before attempting that procedure...I believe there are some torque values to be aware of. If you are planning on doing a lot of work on your VW yourself, you should invest in a Bentley manual ASAP. Invaluable information in that book. Also, look into joining an online forum for VWs like VW Vortex...another invaluable source for information and advice.

30

Thank you Scott. I will check out the youtube thing and look for that book. We bought a manual, but it didn't seem to say much about removing the filter housing? It is actually leaking between the housing and the engine block? All was fine until we had Walmart do an oil change for us. :/

4,655

Not uncommon with non-VW mechanics, they tend to not check for the oil cooler situation. It may just be loose. I recommend, if possible, getting your oil changed at your VW dealer. It's a $50-70 but gives some good perks like road- hazard protection for your tires and real VW techs looking under the car.

30

Thanks once again. My husband is unsure how to tighten this? Does the filter off have to be removed to get to the bolts? We will invest in that book. The nearest VW dealer is a 4 hour drive, so we will have to do some things by our selves sadly.

4,655

I believe the filter has to be removed. I think there's a central large nut that has to be tightened. you want to make sure that you have a new o-ring before you start the procedure. I don't have my manual with me so I can refer to it. Perhaps do a search on the internet for oil cooler removal procedure for your car. when I get home this evening I'll look it up and send you a picture

Best Answer
30

Thanks! :hug

4,655

As you can see, index 22 is a big hexagonal nut. Index 20 is the o-ring in question. The nut is 27mm. Torque value is 25Nm/18Ft Lb Here's the procedure video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgR6Wn91Dtk Duran Duran playing in the background is optional...but may help.

30

Thanks so very much! Today we will fix my car! :D