How Do I Install A New Kick Down Cable On A 1999 Chevrolet Tracker?

Asked by Apr 02, 2007 at 06:37 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2 Dr STD 4WD Convertible

My Car is an Automatic Transmission.It is a 1999  Chevy Tracker 2.0 Engine.2 Door 4WD.I need to know how to replace the kick down cable on this vehicle.

14,830

Dear marph458-- I haven't been able to find a diagram that would help you install that kick down cable on your 1999 Chevrolet Tracker. But, I am sure the guy who sells you the new cable will be able to explain to you how to do it if you have any mechanical training at all. The guys in the parts departments at your good dealerships are often the most knowledgeable people you will find anywhere. I have even seen a parts guy follow a customer to the parking lot and install the piece for him. Don't expect that kind of service with yours, but I am sure you will get the advice you need. Good luck from Bovan.

I have never heard of a kick down cable, what is this thing?: AS I have a 1999 chevrolet tracker , 2 door, 5 speed , 4 WD and I just love this thing lol :) Lynn M Hanscom

10

the kickdown cable is a cable that helps the transmission in shifting up or down depending on throttle position. the cable itself is a fairly easy repair. if you have the suzuki haynes manual for the tracker go to section 7b-5. its just a small section on how its replaced but straight to the point in it. only way i found it myself in the manual was reading it from cover to cover once. but i didnt know what i was looking for the first time. my kickdown cable has to be replaced as well. the barrel pin that is on the end of the cable broke off and i have to do the same repair. hope this info helps. and remember. in the haynes manual its chapter 7b section 5.