The back window of my 2005 beetle convertible is coming loose. Everyone says I must buy a new top. I cannot. Any advice to fix this problem is greatly appreciated.

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 04:31 PM about the 2005 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 2.0L Convertible

back window is coming loose from the ragtop on my 2005 beetle convertible.  The vw dealer as well as upholsterers say I must buy a new top!  I cannot afford this and i need any suggestions to remedy this problem.  I nearly have this car payed off and I cannot afford to sell it.  However, I really miss putting the top back.  I just have it taped now and it really looks terrible.  Hope you guys have some idea what I can do.  Thank You.

293,305

Sorry, but I'm with the upholsterers on this one. There is no easy fix on this one besides riding around without it. Ride your bike to work for a month, bring your lunch to work, carpool etc,. so you can save enough money to fix it properly in the near future. I hate duct tape on cars too.

27,975

Here is a how to do self repair since this seems to be an issue on the new style beetle and it looks like it can be done for under $100. Heres the full link. Good luck : http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/30345-how-resolve-back-windshield-coming-un-glued.html

310

For those newcomers to this site and are need of this repair, know that I took the chance and was successful in repairing my 2008 VW Beetle myself. Fortunately for me the bottom of the window came lose first, enabling the top to hold it in place while I repaired the bottom. I used Window Weld. It has properties like roof tar and it is not forgiving. You can make a mess real fast with it and I wouldn't want to have to clean it up. First, pull canopy top in place to see where it lays on the window, now that it has undergone shrinkage from time. Then release the canopy top lock lever as if you were going to open the top. This gives sufficient slack to work with. Then place the Window Weld in a dispenser tube, cut a small opening and apply a beed of it where you saw the canopy top aligned on the window. I covered my hand in a plastic bag so I could smooth out the beed that squeezes out when the canopy is pulled down onto the window. You don't want this on your skin. Realize that if you cement the canopy top without considering its shrinkage, meaning, you cement in its near original position on the window, it will be too tight. The weakest point will now give way. Meaning, if the top was in place and had not come lose, this older cemented spot on the glass will be pulled lose being weaker than the new cement you applied with Window Weld. If so repeat the process with the Window Weld. Do not lock the canopy latch for at least 24 hours while the Window Weld dries. I experienced the scenario whereby I did not account for shrinkage of the canopy top, and the original cement still in place at the top of the window gave away when I cemented the bottom portion without leaving slack (but due to shrinkage, you may have very little slack in the canopy to work with, but even with very little contact between the canopy top and the glass window, the Window Weld works!). Window Weld was inexpensive, available at most auto parts stores, and that's all the supplies you will need to buy. Good luck

360

The following article has detailed steps on how to re-glue a beetle top. http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/98041-re-attach- convertible-top-rear-glass.html#post1151177

10

I need to find a front glass for my VW beetle 2006