Suspension lift

Asked by Aug 07, 2016 at 12:55 PM about the 2005 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI

So I am wanting to do a 6" suspension lift on my
beetle for some moderate offroading. I have no
idea how to do so. I have tons of tools because I
work on cars, motorcycles, and plenty of other
crap. But I don't know how to do a suspension lift. I
looked around for kits but none are 6". Could I just
take it to an auto shop and would they figure it
out? That would probably cost a lot though. I'd like
to do it myself. Could someone point me in the
right direction?

21,805

Wrong car, get a Subaru Outback, or equivalent.... You are looking for trouble.... don't do it. It will ruin the VW Beetle....

How would it ruin the car? Other people have done it without any problems. The highest I've seen is 4" though. I've never seen 6". Could you explain some?

21,805

Well, for starters, I don't think that the structural underpinnings of the VW Beetle is as strong as a car like the Outback, or another AWD or 4 WD vehicle... The Outback has a rear double wishbone suspension., that's one example for you..

21,805

Plus, you're talking about a "kit"... Think of what you are saying, the Subaru Outback was built with an 8.7 inch ground clearance from the factory... Also, a Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, Tundra, Jeep Wrangler, and many other vehicles are built for rougher environments.

Sorry I should have put LIGHT off road. You know like dirt trails. Maybe some very mild rocky paths. A beetle could handle that, right? I'm not looking for some 4x4 mudder. I'm just thinking raising it probably 4" and getting wheels a little bigger then factory specifications. Also, a skid plate. It could handle that fine, right?

21,805

Kookoocachoo - OK, thanks for the clarification... I took my 2009 Toyota Prius stock to Bodie, California, pretty rough road for about 7 miles or more.. Skid plates,. I actually thought about this for a short time with my Outback, but,. decided to skip it, the point is how often will you need it and your probably not go that fast or that often... And, YES, the Subaru Outback with AWD is very capable surprising a lot of people who get stuck in many vehicles that "pose" as rougher contestants... We took our Subaru Outback down a very washed out and unmaintained road to see the Chicago Stump in Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park,. Quite a trooper... Back to your VW, how much do you really want to spend on a 2005 vehicle...? I ask because you can go too far and you'll never see a return on your investment.... You know, the 2010 Subaru Outback was named Motor Trend's SUV car of the year in 2010. The thing that impressed them so much is how the Outback was so well behaved both on and off the road (in the rough). I'm afraid that your VW Beetle is going to be either so hard on YOU and your car, you might need a chiropractor after your trip...A car like the Subaru won't do that...Look it up yourself online., Sure , you can do stuff to the VW Beetle, but, I would skip it and find a much better ride for what you want to do..