How do I find the actual code??

45

Asked by Dec 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM about the 2003 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo S

My check engine light came on. HOW or what do I do to find out what's the issue. I tried
turning the key several times, waiting for the code to show in the odometer (several of my
other cars did this) It didn't work. Is there a way for my to get the code to display
somewhere???

115,195

Go to your local auto parts store and they will read it for free.(auto zone)

45

That's what I thinking I'd have to do. Do you know if there's any way I can get the code myself? Turning the ignition key in some sort of sequence? Best I found online was how to reset my trip odometer.

115,195

No not that I know of. But you can buy your own scanner. Some are around $20 or so now I think. But I always just go and have them read at the parts store on mine.

45

Thanks! I was thinking that's what I have to do.

115,195

Post the codes back on here if you need help figuring out what the issue is.

45

I won't be able to get to that until tomorrow, but I will. Thanks for your help!

257,935

Turning the ignition key to get the codes were on the old Mopar's prior to OBDii codes. The old OBDi 2 digit codes. Today's codes are 4 digit.

45

My other cars displayed 4 digits. That's what I was looking for, but couldn't figure out how to get my beetle to display them. Do you have any suggestions?

45

I went and had the code read. P0441. 1) Faulty vent selenoid or 2) Faulty purge control selenoid or 3) Faulty fuel tank pressure sensor. Auto Zone doesn't carry any of those parts. That can't be good. Then...my spoiler starts to sound terrible. I greased it with some spray lube, lithium white grease I think the can said, NOT WD40, but it still sounds bad. Read that the spioler might need to be re-aligned. Go to the VW dealer in Drivers Village, and that guy said it needs to be replaced, without even LOOKING at it, and it'd cost $1200 or so. I"m looking to find out how to get to the fuses and I'll disconnect fuse 35. My trusted mechanic does not want to attempt the cause of the check engine light. He's not familiar with my car at all. Understandable, but after being told it would cost me $1200 to fix a spoiler that really does nothing more than look and sound cool, do I trust them to do serious work??

115,195

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441 --- check this out for your code. It has possible causes and solutions

45

I was driving it yesterday, backing out of a parking spot. The car "thunked" and stalled. Thought I didn't have it in gear all the way, or didn't give it enough gas, Started it right back up and drove away. Then I noticed the light was OFF. No more check engine light. I drove it today and NO light. No idea what changed. I thought the thunk was me just stalling the car. It didn't seem weird in any other way. Ever heard of this happening??

115,195

No I haven't. But maybe it will be ok for a while. Unhooking the battery will rest any hard codes. But if light comes back on have them checked again just in case it is another codes and will help lead you to the actual problem. Did you get the spoiler fixed?

45

I was reading here that the code p0441 could be a faulty vent canister getting stuck open or closed. I'm wondering if the 'thunk' was the canister closing, or opening. It was cold and snowy, and I was in deep snow (for the low clearance car) Today, it warmed up to 40. I'm not questioning it, and hope the light stays off. The spoiler still is sticking but the horrible machine gun grinding sounds are gone. Just weird. I'm getting snow tires put on tomorrow. I'll see if my mechanic can just pull the fuse. Thinking that might be the least expensive way to go. I can do it, just haven't yet.

115,195

Could be but I don't think you would have been able to hear it. Now if snow was built up around some of the emissions items and melted and fell off you would have heard that. Just a thought.

Ok I need help on my 2003 Volkswagen beetle. I am getting 4 codes on it. 1. catalyst system below efficiency below threshold bank 1, #2 crankshaft position timing over retarded bank 1. #3 is a oxygen sensor code. Can it be all or is something esle causing it? Help...

4th code i forgot lol