Oxygen sensors

Asked by Jul 29, 2012 at 03:27 PM about the 2003 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 2.0L

Hi, I brought a 2003 Beetle about 6 weeks ago, the engine management light came on about 3 weeks ago so i took it to a garage who said i needed 2 new Oxygen sensors. I took it to a mechanic i knew who tested the emissions and said it wasnt the Oxygen sensors and turned the warning light off. Since then the engine is making a ticking noise and when i go over 60 miles an hour the steering column feels like it is vibrating. also it makes a squeaking noise sometimes when i push down the clutch. The engine management light has now come back on. Is all of this because my oxygen sensors do need changing or do you think something else is going on? Thanks.

246,725

Your going to have to have the codes read again to see what is going on. The ticking might be an exhaust leak causing the O2 sensors detecting it and turning on the Engine Managment light. The vibration and squeaking noise can be something totally different.

Thanks for this, the codes that came up were that the O2 sensors needed changing.

246,725

Then again the ticking might be part of the clutch issue. It does sound that the second mechanic didn't really want to diagnose your issue since they just cleared the codes. I would replace one sensor at a time though, usually it is only one that fails, but mechanics like replacing both figuring the next one is waiting to fail.

2,575

I can never stress enough the importance of finding some one competent that knows how to use a scan tool.All the trouble codes do is point you in a general direction,as somebody else stated the ticking noise could be an exhaust leak,which can cause the o2 sensors to set a code.You need to network and find a competent shop that specializes in VW.For whatever the reason a lot of shops will not work on them or can not be bothered,and there are several different o2 sensor codes that can be set,so you need a shop that can interpret the information the scan tool gives for the proper repair to be done

70

i bought about 2 weeks ago a 2003 vw beetle and after 3 days a light in the dash came on took it to auto zone and they did the oxygen sensor thing and the code came up as P0420 so i got 2 oxygen sensors and dont know where they go can you help

2,575

As somebody else answered if there is an exhaust leak,which is a good possibility,as there is a flex section in the front pipe,and they do go bad,the exhaust leak can dilute the exhaust stream and give a false code,to determine if the u2 sensors are working correctly a scan tool needs to be used and the operation of the o2 sensor monitored on the scan tool.A P0420 code is for catalyst efficiency,you did not state what the mileage is but VW did have an extended warranty on the catalysts for ten years or 100.000 miles,You will need to find somebody competent to help you with the care of your VW,they are a little bit of a quirky car and not all mechanics like working on them.Word of mouth is the best way to find a good VW guy,if you have friends that own v dubs ask them who they use and if they do a good job. What you are experiencing is not out of the normal,and I brought up the extended warranty because that flex is a part of the front exhaust pipe/ catalyst assembly,you have nothing to lose by giving your closest VW dealer a call with your car VIN and just see if it's covered or not,hope this helps you out.

what is the upstream and down stream 02 sensor. What is the difference