Driver side window button has broken

Asked by Apr 20, 2016 at 12:01 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Beetle GL

Driver side window button has broken off.
Cannot roll window down unless a nail or
toothpick is inserted into middle hole that
triggers up & down mechanism to work.  
Volkswagon dealership wants $69.00 to
purchase replacement button. What labor
cost would u assume + cost of new button
total. What other less costly options would
I have?

...and put it in...if that is the case...I'd say that's a good price~ this is a big hunkin one...59 is what my spidey senses say for the unshipped unit~ so labor...that job is kinda a bitch...go easy on us, sir? is all you can ask~

Thanks Bob, looking further at the broken button, looks like some plastic parts that hold button in place have broken off. It's ashamed you can just buy the button itself and slide into place to fix the problem. Actually I'm Larry's wife asking this question. I have to do everything (research etc) on fixing problems like this. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet & get it done. We've spent enough $$ on this car since new to have purchased 3 VW Beetles! Thanks Jacqueline

found this DIY you tube video on repairing broken window button on 2001 VW.

OOO, that's EASY...thanks Larrybc...ya learn somethin' new everday...god bless cargurus~ (my next painting no.301 Procidia, Italy (abandoned) if you've been checkin' out my work~

my suggestion... scrap yard. Quite often you can find the parts your looking for at a local scrap yard that sells auto parts from broken and dilopitaded wrecks.

Good one. I suggested that to my husband, but he wasn't going to go. He said I should. MEN!! So, I went and bought the part at the VW house for 69.00 (guaranteed for 12 months) and then came home and watched the You Tube I mentioned above and replaced it in 5 minutes MYSELF!! Pat myself on the Back. Now, if I could only fix our 1997 Mercedes, Central Air & Riding Lawn Mower!! Also, I fixed the gas lid release button. It would budge (stuck), so I drenched it in WD 40 and now it flips the gas lid open!. Thank you again for the scrap yard. I'll remember it next time. Are their scrap yards with parts for Trane airconditioners & Sears Riding Lawnmowers?

good work're a winner!~

Bob, Larry didn't do anything! His wife, Jacqueline, did it!

My wife Claudia basically allows me NO runnin' like a stopwatch from a fairytale~ Queen of the must obey~...thank you for being a part of my life~

for lawn mowers i would just try a small engine repair shop. If you find a decent one they do good work. As for the mercadies it all depends on the issues and yes you can find parts for them in the wrecking yard. I once saw a brand new bmw convertible in one cause some woman drove it into their pond .... try a google map search for scrap yards and the biggest ones should have the parts and cars in thier yards. Most are pick and pull yourself but some offer to do it them selves or have already done it from a previous pull. large parts are ussaly pulled by the scrap yards them selves tho. If you are in the states is a good place to find parts they offer refurbished and used parts and they own a scrap yard i think in either Florida or California