How can I locate my O2 Sensors

Asked by Sep 17, 2013 at 05:20 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 1.8T

I am doing a tune up on my Beetle and saw the light in the dash. I took it to a local repair place
to get a reading, I need to replace my O2 sensors. Where would the sensors be located?

4,565

Generally, there's a sensor in the exhaust manifold and another downstream from the catalytic converter. Warning: your vehicle is 13 years old. Those sensors have had a long time to corrode and fuse themselves to the exhaust. Its gonna be a bear to get 'em out. Get a good O2 sensor socket (any decent auto parts store will have). Get some Liquid Wrench or similar product to soak the sensor/exhaust junctions...and prepare for an afternoon of cussing and bruised knuckles. I've had considerable luck getting good sensors off Amazon.com for about $50...expect $75 to $100 per at the local suppliers. If you plan to be a DIY maintainer of your Beetle, I wholeheartedly recommend obtaining a factory Bentley manual. It's expensive...and worth every penny. Good luck.

How many Oxygen Sensors on my 2007 VW Beetle? It is 2.5L Where can I find a good DIY Video?

4,565

When working on a Volkswagen, especially a modern one, it's pretty much a necessity that you have a Bentley manual for your specific vehicle. Paper and CD versions are available around $100 and are worth every penny if you plan to DIY your maintenance. As far as the O2 sensor replacement, it's fairly straightforward with one sensor on the tailpipe end of the catalytic converter and one upstream from the converter somewhere on the exhaust downpipe. The use of a special O2 sensor socket is highly recommended, available at any auto parts store. Now, it can be difficult work if the sensor threads have corroded or the angle to reach it is cramped/awkward. In that situation, using a professional mechanic service can save you much in the way time, skinned knuckles and frustration. Hope this helps.

4,565

Ah, it would seem I've answered this question before. Are you still dealing with the problem?

yes

4,565

It is dangerous to operate without replacing bad sensors. You can damage your engine and/or contaminate your catalytic converter ($$$$). You need to address the situation as soon as you can.

100

How to fine the Upstream Oxygen Sensor on a 2001bettle