I heart a clicking under my tahoe. It isn't in the engine. It speeds up when I accelerate and slows down as I slow down.

40

Asked by Oct 17, 2013 at 05:20 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4 Dr LT 4WD SUV

what, like a plastic bag wrapped around the driveshaft...take a peek under there and see what's up~

40

No debris under there at all.

so it oscillates at the same speed as the drivetrain....you could not have looked at every inch of ALL driveshafts... could be as simple as a piece of wire or coat hanger something that'd scrape with every turn...what else could it be...has to be~

your power steering pump would not stop when you stop...this one does (apparently)....take it to a garage where they'll support only the frame and leave the wheels dangle....then we will spot where and what is makin' the noise~

17,955

See if you have a squirrel wrapped around and the tail is knocking. I agree with Judge Roy, it's in the driveshaft. Closely inspect the shaft and see if there are any clean marks on it, you may even have something hanging down hitting it, or a bearing may be going out. Hello Roy.

Every day I wake up in the morning am STUNNED by the beauty that is California...califcarson....want to keep it a secret, but those that have had it that way their whole lives apparently like sno-ball fights and skidding across the ice with their rust-beauties....and having the view blocked by the snowplows creating an alien environment of what once was familiar stomping grounds~ 'mornin' sir~

Damned they simply haven't had these "a big hydraulic cylinder in the earth"...like I used to work under in years....haven't seen any in California...they've all got these pussy-footin' ramps that you drive the car onto...then work a wheel at a time....drat that safety bullshi#%~!

40

Thanks guys!

17,955

California is a beautiful State. I just got back from a drive up the coast all the way to Canada, keeping the ocean view out my left window. Such a beautiful drive in the family Buick. 4,500 miles no problems. Now have 116,000 miles on it. Averaged 21.6 the entire trip. Came back from Canada through Idaho, to Yakima, back down to Weed and Mt. Shasta, then 5 straight South to Orange County. 3 weeks. one of the best vacations ever.

still have the "weed" CA. t-shirt, but am ashamed to wear it with non-weed types afoot~ this summer checked out the ancient ruins and some of ole route 66....this station near Ludlow seemed ripe for a place to set down for retirement....after a fashion~

we attempted to connect with David Hutchison (our beloved 1 guru, the Texan, DavidH25...at his home in Tehachapi (a lovely town, wouldn't mind relocating there either) .but there was a mis-communication with myself, my travelling partners and of course Dave has his wife who needs him every minute of every day now...but still he's okay...drat wanted to meet at Denny's for breakfast...maybe he'll drive a couple of hours to come and see me in Clearlake (the poorest town in CA.)~ the Prius did a steady 47 mpg~

I was more inclined to suspect a drive axle who's CV joint is not wanting to co-operate anymore~ once you get it off the ground you can push and pull and scare your friends with the amount of play and grinding sounds you can make to make your wallet leap out of your pants and scurry towards the next exit~

17,955

Looking for a retirement place? Give north of Mendocino a look see. Lots of old dead heads, old cars, NOT hot dry weather, no rush, no hustle, everyone minds their own business, and a lot of history.

17,955

ndegnars, have you found out your problem yet? Was it a squirrel? Put something on you bio, as you see you can make some good friends on here. Didn't like Judge Roy at first, then he admitted he made a mistake. He had thought I knew more that him once, but he has since changed his mind on that. Have to admire a person for being so honest. Right Roy?

Hey califcarson....you will never move forward unless you're willing to edit the answer~....anyways perhaps the "instant diagnosis" hat was not on properly that day...normally am hard to surprise....the modern "modules" have got me at a loss as is something that a guy cannot take over to the bench and "fix" it~ Happy....and sunny all the time...at home with my multiple sclerosis stopping me from throwing a dart or riding a bike without great peril...still I paint and am sad that I am NOT painting at the moment~

...often I forget the obvious...like a prior overheat will puke all over the underside of the hood...a person with throttle problems has a bad TPS....of course a SOLID ground to the chassis is overlooked if it starts okay....there is a world of subtleties with the power going to the ECU...needs to be NOT laden with varying amperages and varying voltages....etc~ such basic stuff gets overlooked because people generally go to the point of least resistance~

17,955

I don't wash hats, not cool dude!

17,955

click on my picture to get some looks.

Nice clean hat, man. Pretty California or western scene..natural wood fence...alright....you got it alright~

17,955

Black Canyon area in Colorado. Tough to mow.

15

if you didnt find the problem ck the rear park brake shoes poss worn and making that noise your describing

15

or bad u-joint or u-joint's