Car alarmed itself, wont start, and i cant program my key fob to it.

Asked by Jan 23, 2014 at 06:53 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Beetle 2 Dr STD Hatchback

I have a 98 VW Beetle and the battery went out a couple weeks ago, I took it out to charge it and when I put it back in, the car alarmed itself. every time I unlock the drivers side door, the alarm sounds; try turning it on, alarm sounds; try opening the trunk, alarm sounds. I cannot do anything with this car without the alarm going off. the owner before me kept the key fob for some reason, so I bought a new one and tried to reprogram it to the car, nope. Anything I try will not work, I don't have $300 to go to the dealership. Please help!

Disconnect the battery, then turn the ignition on, leave it on and reconnect the battery, start car. It should be rest now.

tuff4x4, I tried this and it did not work. What else do you think could be wrong with it?

No the factory alarm can not be removed it will not allow the car to start. Try disconnecting the battery put the key in the on position where the radio would work reconnect the battery and see if it starts . This will bypass the alarm. This can also be caused by a low voltage battery or a faulty security control unit. Try a new battery and do these steps again. If it doesn't work the security control unit must be bad. You may be able to purchase one on ebay.

It was the comfort control module that was bad on it. I fixed that problem and then the battery went dead on it and it alarmed itself again.

I love you tuff4x4! I opened the the trunk and all the doors, and disconnected the battery. I then held the key in the start position while my dad connect the battery. It works! The car started and my keyless entry reprogramed itself. Amazing! I am so Jacked right now!

I have a 98 vw beetle. How do I bypass the factory alarm. If I keep turning the ignition switch back and forth it will eventually start. How can I fix this problem.

Thank you all for the advice on the beetle car alarm. I found that I had a similar problem with the alarm. Opening the trunk worked perfectly. Thank you all again. :)

I have a 2002 volkswagon beetle and my car alarm would enable itself when I would lock the doors from the outside now it doesn't wanna enable itself so I'm thinking of I try the trunk thing will it work can you explain to me how to do that please