2004-2005 VW Jetta 2.0 GLS

30

Asked by May 25, 2017 at 07:25 PM about the 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

Accidently deleted my question...  I have the early
model 2005 VW Jetta 2.0 GLS and whenever the
car is cold it will not start on the first try. I bought
the car in November 2016 and it always started on
the first try up until about a month ago. I wait until
all the lights go off before trying to start it. I was
told it could use a new fuel filter and I bought it,
just haven't installed yet... Do you think that would
be the problem?  It cranks and sounds like it's
fighting to start but no matter how long you hold
the key it won't turn over,  sometimes it will work on
the first try if you gas it. However, it's an every time
it's cold issue and always starts after the second
try.

245

Try priming your fuel pump a few times before trying to start it.....just to see if it is a fuel pressure issue.

2,295

That is......hold the key and turn 3/4 of the way....for 10-14 seconds....this brings gas to the front....and u don't wear out ur starter. Fuel filters go bad from the type of gas u use in it.....especially if u use the ones with a lot of alcohol.....they will start tearing the paper inside apart. Change ur fuel filter.....but your car is talking to you....listen It may be the first signs that your fuel pump is going too

2,295

You understand where the fuel pump is located.....inside ur fuel tank. Also, keep your tank over half full. That will assist you as well.

2,295

Were u aware that the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel in your tank. If you constantly keep the tank below half full...you will wear out and age that fuel pump more quickly. My young niece and daughter have the same car, and I have constantly reminded them about how much gas to leave in their tank.....but they don't listen. They are millennials.

30

I have tried priming it and that does not help. I always fill up when I'm at no less than a quarter tank or half in the winter. ~thanks for the reply

30

I wish I could upload a video. It makes this scraping kind of noise when it does start on the second try. The starter has been replaced, I just tuned it up, changed the coolant temp sensor and will get the fuel filter in this weekend. A friend was saying it had nothing to so with the fuel, filter or pump, so I thought I give this a try. ~appreciate the help!!

2,295

is this a manual transmission? if so this is a classical symptom for a throw out bearing

2,295

How many miles on the car? What is the typical driving experience? A few miles a day......in stop and go traffic? Are u the only driver? Where is the noise coming from?

30

It is an automatic transmission, with 119,430 miles on it. I am the only driver and take care of my car, I do not beat on it and maintain it properly. I bought the car in November 2016 but it was well taken care of with one previous owner. I do not drive the car often about 5 miles daily and only three to four days a week. It is in a highly populated area with a lot of stop and go, with steady 40-55mph. The noise is under the hood, a loud scrape/scratch type of noise it occurs as the motor turns over and starts. The car runs great at idle and while driving, just a struggling cold start. It doesn't matter if it's 40° outside or 70° or if the car has been in the garage between drives.

30

The car has started on the first try, every time since I bought it and up until about a month ago. I took it in to a friend's shop to have someone else check it out and they were impressed how well it was taken care of and could only find the fuel filter needs to be replaced. This was about the time it started acting up but I did not mention the issue though.

2,295

Great answers and clarification. My past experience w two different Jetta's (2006 and 2007) reveal the last visit to the dealer, they told me that it was due to what sounded like some sort of hydraulic tensioner on the chain between the two cams. Apparently, when cold, there is not enough pressure to keep the thing pumped up, and the sound is caused by the loose chain. I was told also that this was a problem on the W8s, and that it was "normal".

2,295

"cam tensioner"......final answer

30

Thank you for being so helpful. I don't know anyone with a Jetta or any sort of VW, so I figured it'd help to ask those who are familiar. This is a change for me, I usually have American cars and my Mustang is enough of a pain lol. I get a discount at Napa so I'll have to see how much and when I can get the part. Love the car but what a pain in the butt with ordering the correct parts. Thanks so much, I truly appreciate your insight and will let you know how it goes!

2,295

I like American cars and German cars. I have owned maybe 70 some cars and now understand why I stay away from Asian vehicles. That will be a discussion over a drink. Keep me informed, best regards

30

Where he's pointing to in the picture, there's a noise that sounds like a vacuum leak but it is not. When the vacuum line is pinched it stops, so air is passing through it. Is it a valve or a sensor that could cause this noise? Does anyone know the name of the sensor and/or valve? The car runs great at idle and while driving, I'll get a random check engine light that will go on and off on it's own. The code is P0101 Mass or volume air flow circuit range/performance, the M.A.F. went out when I bought the car and the seller replaced it. The car struggled to run and drove terribly when that happened and the ESP, triangle trac light, and engine light all came on then; but now no ESP just the trinagle with circle trac control, then engine light but runs great currently.

30

Here's the code that I get.

2,295

Here is what u need to do every 6 months.....I did mine last week. You Tube video is attached. Then tighten everything back up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wozwch4_M9U

2,295

I would do a smoke test if you still hear the hissing sound. Get a cigar or cigarette (I don't smoke).....and blow after inhaling across that area....and see where the hole is located. This is a good test

2,295

Hope this picture helps

2,295

and a schematic view

2,295

It looks like you're pointing at the PCV

30

Mine is a 2005 that was made in July 2004, it's a pain in the ass!! The engine code is BEV but the pcv picture is my motor. My friend that works on it for me said he has never seen a pcv with a sensor, "dam German engineering"... lol Just cleaned the MAF, it was actually perfectly clean. I'll have to call tomorrow for a PCV.. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. A family friend has a automotive shop but he said they hate working on Jettas and wouldn't do it for anyone else, so I try to save them for the major stuff. Great guys, that are hard to come by these days, they do work for cost and use my parts. Since I get a discount on Napa auto parts

2,295

I agree with you....hard to find good shops. I usually do it all myself but I don't have all the tools so I found a shop that I trust for the big jobs as well. Glad you found helpful and marked it so. Thanks