Where is the power steering reservoir on the 2005 Jetta 2.5 engine?

20

Asked by Jul 20, 2015 at 08:09 PM about the 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L

Its an automatic and i cant seem to locate the reservoir?

It has Electric speed-proportional power steering. No pump, no reservoir

420

Correct....... No resivor

20

Thanks but now I'm confused. It has a leak and the mechanic said it was power steering fluid and that the steering rack needed to be replaced. And this is a reputable mechanic. Were there different engines fornthe 2005 GL?

Yes. There is a 2.0L GL, and 2.0L GL PZVE (Don't know what PZEV means) and it does not list electronic power steering. See: http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/jetta/2005/st-100477731/features-specs/

420

Edmund's says there was a 2.0,2.5 and 1.9 tdi

420

Have you tried u tube ?.......there's great videos on how find and replace just about anything

20

Top of the engine says 2.5L. I guess i should get a 2nd opinion. Thank u for your help fordnut and patatocake, much appreciated. I thought i could just keep the power steering fluid topped off at least for a while and avoid a 1k repair.

20

Yeah i did pataocake and the couple that i saw didnt match up to my engine... didnt see a reservior where there's was.

I did look and found that PZEV is an acronym for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. Including - but not limited to - hybrids. It has to do with the non-hybrid I4 - 16-valve engine that only opens one exhaust valve under certain conditions, instead of both, (supposedly) releasing less exhaust to be 're-cycled' through the EGR and making the catalytic convertor more efficient. Unbiased EPA tests do indeed prove the system works on non-hybrids. They really do produce very little pollutants. Toyota has the same thing, they call it ULEV, Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle, or for example the Prius is a SULEV - Super Ultra Low Emissions vehicle. Honda claims no loss of horsepower, but EPA testing contradicts that claim. The only reason it's not a ZEV, Zero Emissions Vehicle, is the full electric plug-in car i.e. no gasoline engine only can claim that. The EVAP system even on a hybrid will release miniscule amounts of gasoline vapor. The EVAP -charcoal canister system really works well, but is not perfect. CARB (California Air Resources Board) does not allow PZEV stickers for diamond-lane use, aka car-pool, where in the LA basin you can use the car-pool lane alone, driver only with an electric car. Then CARB also has challenged manufacturers to give 15 year, 150,000 mile emissions systems warranties. Any car with that can get the "Green Car" sticker. No manufacturer has done that. Seems CARB was trying to get people to only buy cars with the 15/150k warranty....but it didn't work. For those of you that have been on the 405 or 101 on a weekday know what I mean. Even the diamond lane is constipated. (Choice of words intentional)

10

Help! I have a 2005 2.5 Jetta. My P/S light (yellow) came on 2 days ago...looked in the manual....no help! Had some guys look at it...can't find the "green cap". I googled it and got your site. My engine area doesn't look like the pic that you show. Mine only has the coolant and the washer reservoirs! So....what do I do? I don't want to take it to the dealership if I don't have to ($$$$). I know several guys that work on cars & commercial trucks. Thank you!

The 2005 2.5L Jetta has electric power assist steering. No power steering fluid (NO "green cap"). I have the same problem with my 2005 2.5L Jetta. The answer to the warning light (on mine it is a little steering wheel, either amber or red depending on the fault) is to replace either the wiring harness to the electric power steering, replace the electronics or replace the entire assembly. I have crawled under the car on more than one occasion to try to do a DIY repair on the assembly... VW wants $1200 for a new assembly and auto parts stores in my area want $400 to $800 for a rebuilt... It is a dirty difficult job but try to check out the wiring harness first. Sometimes they get worn or loose and create a failure warning. I am in the process of looking for a replacement motor/electronics for mine on Ebay. VW incorporated the entire electronics system into the motor housing and it makes replacing the control module (my problem) a whole lot more difficult. Good luck and DON'T listen to some mechanics who want to make life easier on themselves by replacing the entire system.