i have a 2004 vw jetta 1.8t and i tried to start it one day and it only cranked. i know i need a new battery, but when it was charged i could hear the pump hum and i had changed the oil. i changed the crankshaft position sensor and all the spark plugs and fuel filter and still no start. i changed the pump relay and still nothing im at my wits end and i need my second car to start runnin. its not getting any fuel because i tried starting fluid in the spark plug area and it fired right up its not leaking from any hoses. the only thing i changed in it was a battery for the keyless entry and the oil. i have the check engine light on and when i try to start it the battry sounds like its losing power and the oil light will start flashing. what is the malfunction. i know it needs air fuel and spark, and fuel is my problem.

Asked by Dec 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM about the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T

tried everything i could think of. the car also has the epc light on.

8,575

actually a car requires more then that they are just the key factors. A car also needs power, oil, and vacum to run when it comes to a vw. If your oil sensor light is coming on you are either short on oil so check it, or the sensor has gone bad, the last option for that is the oil pump has failed. all these things would contribute to the car not starting for saftey reasons. The lack of power would suggest one of 2 things, you are rubbing parts in the engine metal on metal with no oil to lubricate them, or the alternator is no longer charging correctly. Have the car taken to a vw specialist and have them scan and check the car. DO NOT run or drive the car if there is an oil issue you will only cause more bigger issues down the road. A sure fire way to check at home if the oil pump is working tho is to remove the oil cap while its running and look to see if there is oil splashing around. if there is none shut it off immediately and have it towed to the closest vw specialist shop in your area and have them replace the pump or check the pump. if there is oil but the light is on the sensor is the issue and this is the part that needs replacement.

it doesnt start

8,575

very descriptive lol, try pulling one of the spark plugs after cranking it. Smell for fuel on the plug and in the cylinder this will tell you if there is infact fuel making it to the cyclinders.