What parts are compatible from 2000 Jetta with 2002 Jetta?

Asked by Sep 16, 2016 at 01:23 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL

4 cyl 2.0, one is an AZG (2000) and other is an AVH (2002). I'm trying to salvage some parts from my car but was told they are different fuel injection types, even though they are both 4 cyl 2.0. Which parts can I use (suspension, distrib cap, sensors) and which aren't?

7,725

none of the parts are comparable. Unfortunately for you is they change Mk plat forms after 2001. Nothing will be the same and it will all hook up differently. about the only thing you can really swap over is the seats since they all use the same bolt wholes.

I understand the major engine parts, but I'm speaking of distributor cap, suspension (tie rod ends, ball joints), starter, water pump, the little stupid things that go wrong. I have a totalled 2000 w the engine/trans intact but I plan on pulling anything off that I can use on the 2002 (bought it from a shady dealer- the ones that don't know anything about VW's, lol). Just odds and ends, if I scrap the car I won't get anything for it. If I can use the parts to save money I'm all for it, just don't know the proper specifics.

I know I've taken the alt, radiator, a temp sensor from the 2000 & used them in the 2002. My oil pan leaks-do they have the same oil pan? Can the oxygen sensor be used? Where can I go to find out this information?

7,725

try the vw forums boards. The reason most parts don't work is due to the redesign of the car bolts won't necessarily line up and such. If i were you i would just take what ever you put new on the car off and then part it out and send it to scrap. pull the engine and the trany and see what fits but sensors might or may not work due to different plug ends. I usually never recommend used parts for a vw or an audi but some times if you can't afford new then you do what you have to do to keep your vehicle on the road. unless you replaced the control arms like less then a year ago tho i would not bother with them. In most cases the old control arm rubbers are to worn out to really bother with them. If you have orignal shocks from when the car was first bought again i would not bother with them unless you really see a need for it. At this point in time most of the usual useful components are so rusted up or worn out that they won't be worth saving. If you were smart and under coated then since you bought the car you might have a few salvageable parts but a dirty job getting them. As for the oil pan it may or it may not work they look simalure but it all really depends on weather you need the oil sensor or not. i know this is not what you want to hear but you may just need to due the good old comparison trick to see if it will transfer over. Most of the sensors tho will not work but some will so just keep that in mind.

Thank you! When I bought the 02 it was all jacked up, air hoses weren't connected-the car is practically held together by zip ties & electrical tape, lol. I haven't had to do anything major to it but the small things add up & money was really tight for awhile. Thank you again!

7,725

well if your lucky you can use some of the body parts and such with the new car. If i were you tho i would look at the stickers in the trunk and see what parts are the same code. the sticker should be right in the spare tire wheel well they list the engine and trany code and such. It might be worth it to keep the old car around for a while for spare parts till your sure the new car is ok. if you don't mind me asking what happened to your 2000 that it had to be taken off the road? I am guessing some one smacked into you.

I looked at a text while driving. Supposed to give a friend a ride, they didn't answer their phone so I started heading home. Halfway there got a text, looked at my phone, felt the tires leave the road. Got it back on after hitting a mailbox but the back end slide out, I cut the wheel too hard. Back end hit a telephone pole going 60, ripped off the trunk, smashed that back window out. The frame is done but the rest of the car is good. Car had 220,000 (I put on 120,000 of them), no oil leaks, no low coolant, no check engine light EVER...I miss that car lol. Ins cldnt help me so I had to spend a couple grand I didn't have on one that wasn't too beat up & I only had 3 days to pick a winner. Now that I have it running decent I could prob sell it, hell sell the pair of them, but I've got too much time into both of them to let go of it for what I know I'd get. Plus I want to fix the odds & ends things before selling, go a long way toward reassurance if you popped the hood & didn't see zip ties everywhere lol

7,725

:P well i guess that teaches you don't look at your phone while your driving .. if you want to save the engine and trany you can just grab the dash cluster and computer and wiring harness because it is transferable as a whole unit. the fenders and doors should be able to transfer over i was just looking up some pictures and the body's look identical i guarantee they won't be exact fit but they should look like they belong. with an engine with no leaks tho i would defiantly keep that engine around you could probably even sell the old engine and trany for roughly 600-800$ parting the old car out on kijiji could at least put a few more bucks in the bank.