I need help the dealership over the phone says it's a clutch problem but that's a $1,000 fix I'm hoping that it could be something else?

155

Asked by Aug 13, 2014 at 09:33 AM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

I own a 01' manual volkswagen jetta & when I am shifting & pushing the gas it seems to not have as much power like it used to & when in 5th gear the idle jumps from 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm what could be the problem? Could it be that it hasn't even reached 100,000 miles yet. Could it be that it needs transmission fluid or an engine problem.

If when you say it jumps from 4000 to 5000 rpm when you give it throttle in 5th gear and does not really pick up much if any speed, then it does indeed sound like a clutch problem. in a manual, the gear oil has nothing to do with that, if that's what you mean by transmission fluid..it has gear oil not transmission fluid. If it runs smooth and no warning lights on, unlikely an engine problem. But you can get a clutch installed for less than $1000 at a good mechanic. That's a normal Dealer price though. That lack of power may not be engine loss, but clutch slipping feeling like less power. Also, a slipping clutch often has a distinct 'burnt' odor, but not always

Best Answer
155

Thank you for the help when in 5th it jumps back and forth like twice from 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm without trying to accelerate then will stay steady around 3200 rpm. And just curious because it doesn't seem to slip all the time. Like this morning it was fine but yesterday it seemed to hesitate to excel in every gear. This has been happening off and on for about a week now. So you are saying it HAS to be the clutch? I wish it was something easier so I could do the work myself.

I am saying by far most likely. An absolute HAS to be is kinda putting me on the spot...but I would say, from your description, 99%. When you put your foot, or even better try this with your hand, how far does the pedal travel before you feel any real resistance? None? Not good, should have maybe an inch or two of 'free play' And when you release it to go, how far up does the pedal come up before car moves? Way up almost all the way? If so, not good. That information will help me.

63,155

Agree,with fordnut,and your mechanic,replace clutch.

But now it's a hydraulic clutch. Usually with a hydraulic clutch if the fluid gets low it prevents the clutch from disengaging, but won't effect it from completely engaging...the pressure plate is spring loaded...but it would not hurt to check the fluid

Thanks TST. I needed that support and input. Good morning my friend

155

I push the gas pedal down about half way and even pushing it down to the floor as I release the clutch and it takes a good 3 seconds to start to pick up speed. the car drives fine but takes a few seconds to pick up speed. When I release the clutch the car starts to go when its about half way up but takes a few seconds before it will pick up speed. It doesn't do it every time that's what I don't understand if its slipping shouldn't it be losing power, not accelerating, every time I drive it in any gear?

Not necessarily. Heat for one thing, it may work at first then get hot and slip. Cool down a bit and not so much. And by WOT you are putting a lot of strain on the clutch. WOT is Wide Open Throttle, pushing the gas all the way will just make it worse

Keep doing that and you will scorch the flywheel

You see it's DISengaging fine but not completely engaging, ruling out any hydraulic system problem and leading right back to pressure plate and disc

63,155

True,

155

how do I check to see if it has enough fluid?

Under the hood, (I don't know exactly where, I will try to find out after I post this. There is a master cylinder for the clutch, probably near the firewall and round, the cap might even say Clutch, use DOTIII Brake Fluid. It should be about 3/4 full

155

I know I can pull the plug to see if it has fluid but how do I find out if there is enough? And how much does it take? I guess I can call like auto zone and ask and they might know. this just has me so stressed out bc we do not have enough money to replace the clutch

155

Every youtube video I have seen it shows that it is underneath the passenger side of the car.

155

Thank you so much for all your advice fordnut. If you can find out before 1pm that would be great because I am off work at 1 and will not be near a computer

63,155

No,it should be under hood,right in front of driver,on fire wall.

Agreed. Under the passenger side makes no sense. Here is the M/C and reservoir

155

ok I will check and let you know tomorrow thanks for all the help and taking the time out of your day

This is Passat VW but might be really close to same

155

wow thank you that helps a lot

OK, Best of Luck

63,155

Good job ford nut : )

This was Team effort friend

155

thank you, you have been extremely helpful. I just hope that is the issue and we don't need to replace the clutch yet, maybe around income tax time lol.

155

Thank you to all of the Team

155

Good Morning FordNut and Team Ioke under the hood yesterday and the reservoir that resembled the picture you sent me said brake fluid on it. Is that the same for the clutch or should there be a different one? It was full if it is the same one but could it need changed and that could be the problem?

155

Are you there??? I really need your help

63,155

If is say,s brake that is not it,look again,it will resemble it thoe.

155

ok thank you T_S_T