Battery draining, why?

15

Asked by Dec 15, 2013 at 05:53 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

So the 01 jetta GLS that I purchased recently won't start up again, this time there is a dull clicking sound and all the lights in the car flash as I try to turn the car on, and will continue to do so until I stop trying to turn the ignition.

I just got my audio system hooked up, but I damaged the ground wire going into the amp in the trunk, the fibers carrying the ground signal are at a 3rd of what they should be, mayhaps this be the cause of my problem? After i get the car jumped im going to replace the cable. Besides that the only other weird thing is that my aftermarket radio isn't powering on at all either; when a car is dead, so is the radio? I swear i've had a dead battery with the radio still working.. So should the radio be on or has a connection in my wiring job come loose?

15

for more clarification my all interior lights still power on, and the exterior lights work too, but the headlights are getting dimmer each time I try, I think... Also when i say the ground is a 3rd of what it should be, I mean the connective point on the end grounded to the top of my trunk has been cut to a 3rd of its original thickness. Any one with a solid opinion of what's going on is encouraged to answer! please!

112,235

Double check your connections. Fix the ground wire. Did you hack up your wire harness under the dash or buy the proper conversion harness to hook up the new system? Check fuse for radio might have shorted something out while hooking up radio. Fully charge the battery and tighten and clean all the connections. If after all this it still is draining the battery have the battery and alternator checked. If all good there then do a parasitic draw test to find what is staying on and draining your battery.

Best Answer
15

Used the proper harness, popped the hood to disconnect the fuze and realized... the power cord was torn out of the fuse holder for the amp leaving the fuze connected to the battery without being connected into the cabin of the car.. Since the part that controls when to shut off the power being drawn is in the cabin and not connected is it safe to assume that this cord with fuse piece attached to the battery drained it?