Installed new tranny, Jetta wont start

15

Asked by Dec 11, 2013 at 09:03 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

Bought the car, was a lemon with a bad transmission.. Was at too much of a loss to buy a new car so I replaced it. Drove the car home, during the car ride the check battery light flickered on a few times and my headlights dimmed. Parked, and the next time i tired to turn the car one it wont turn over, no crank no start. There's a quiet electronic hum when I try to start the car, but if i pull the key back and try to repeatedly start the car the hum fades and eventually nothing happens but the light coming on. All lights and sounds in the car work, the brights and headlights work normally when the key is in the on position, just no power to the engine. What could the mechanics have knocked loose in my car? I'm stuck at a friends house now and am furious, i just paid 2,200 on a 2001 jetta and the damn thing has issues before the day is out.

this is a simple problem to fix...follow the battery cable down to the end where it turns into a lug...wirebrush the lug....wirebrush the chassis where it attaches...assure the 1/0awg battery cable goes to the engine as well (near the alternerator)~*awg(american wire guage) get a NEW battery as the new style NO LEAD will go to hell and stop accepting a charge ten percent per year~

the ECU will be getting good signals now...if they persist, get an OBD-II handheld scanner for fifteen bucks and READ the codes and "RESET the CODES"....if the CEL comes back...read the codes again...take preventative measures~

yes, perhaps the mechanics brutalized the main ground connection...perhaps it was SALTED already~

Best Answer
15

I will do check the cables and clean the connections and try again! I have had no problems with the car starting until now, 2 and a half hours after the mechanics down at miester imports released my lil jetta. Thanks for the speedy replies!

15

The mechanics came out to me and diagnosed that they butchered the ground connection in the car, they took it to the shop to fix so I'm set! I'm glad it was the ground and nothing else, if any of you have these problems after getting work done, specifically a transmission installed check the ground!

YAY...victory is OURS~!