Why VW Jetta won't shift gears

Asked by Jul 03, 2012 at 01:55 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

I have a 2001 VW Jetta, 5 speed...It will not shift gears and I don't know why..Do you?

2,595

As stated need some more information. As to a row it yourself or if its an auto tragic tranny

210

2001 VW Jetta 5 speed....Will not shift gears. (5 Speed) tends to indicate you have a manual transmission. Could be a shift linkage cable. Thats the cable that connects your shift lever to the transmission. If the cable is broken you would be stuck in whatever gear you were in when the connection broke, and you would not be able to shift to any other gear, reverse or even nuetral. It's also possible that even if the cable itself is not physically broken, that the attachment mechanism has broken at either the shift lever or where it connects to the transmission. Obviously there are other possibility but given the age of your vehicle this is a strong possible.

245

Same issue on a 03 Jetta GLI. we have figured out it is the attachment mechanism on the shifter. my question is, can i get to it from the top or do i need to drop everything from the bottom. need help!

70

Hi I have just fixed that problem on my Jetta you need to remove the aluminum casting holding your shifter shaft this is located on top of your trany first mark the location of your shifter cables i did this by spraying with black paint them twist and release the shifter cables now remove aluminum casting there are two 13mm bolts, casting will be stuck down need to tap up with a hammer the housing and shaft will come, out now if you remove nut on the top of the shaft this holds the shifter weight on top remove weight and pul the shaft out of the housing you will notice that there is a plastick roller bearing that the shaft rotates on, Well this is the problem if this bearing fails it prevents the shaft from traveling freely. I found one at the wrechers that was good if you cant find one go to a transmision bearing shop and match up the size, or go to VW and pay way to much if they even sell that part alone. check it out look carefully at each conponent you will figure it out

250,815

Manual or automatic transmission?

220

what might be going on if my shift knob on a 2000 jetta gets stuck on 1st and 2nd gear? please help... thanks

hey i took my car to the mechanic for the same problem and it was that the bushing had broken. im in the process of trying to fix the problem but they dont sell that little rubber cap anywhere. i am going to try this part http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_shifter_repair_bushing_p/shift- figg.htm and hope it solves the problem.

30

I drive a 2009 Jetta and the problem I am having is that it is difficult to change gears sometimes, and other times I can change the gears just fine. Does anyone know what may be causeing this problem for me?

10

I have a 2007 v w Jett the gear won't change it is just in one gear will someone reply to me on this thank

I have an automatic Jetta Bora, the immobiliser has a problem, is their a way to put car in nuetral or to bypass the immobiliser

please email me solutions on rscholtz1986@gmail.com

I had i similar prb mine 3 rd gear doesn't shift or shifts hard the cost for the fix was to high around 2300$.... crazy . I changed the transmission fluid .. 3 dayes ago. 140$ and i think its going well no problems anymore . Don't believe vw people when they say the oil is for life there is no such a thing ...i mean it worth a shot ....