Cost to replace the computer on my 2001 Jetta ?

Asked by Dec 04, 2013 at 11:27 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL

My Mechanic said the code came up that the computer needs to be replaced. He quoted
me 1,800 for a new computer ( + cost of programming it) or if he can locate a used
computer cost would be $1,100. Anyone know if these prices are in the ball park? Or
where to get a reliable used computer?

on ebay they vary from 75 dollars to 497dollars~

once installed, you can reset this computer with a scan tool $15+s/h

stick his nose in that...print out that ebay page...make him smell that one~

Really!! Glad I asked. And I've always thought I can trust this mechanic. He's a good guy. The thing is does work for a larger company ( salary as far as I know). Is it possible a) the company sets the prices or b) is more than one type of computer for the car? Meanwhile I am gonna print this page out. Thank you!

there is such fuss about " it can re-learn the parameters"...well let me tell you, it learns the parameters withing the first five seconds to which devices are connected...."reset the codes" will insure there will be a "clean slate" for the computer to operate from~

Glad I could put a smile on your face!....(if I could see it)~

really good looking gals DO have a time when these mechanics who will pull their tongue back into their mouths will see that you are a real person...not a mannequin~ it's an opportunity to hand out business cards to promote yourself...gotta make good with those chimps~

Listen to The Judge!! Check or your local auto parts store as well. Unless there's a lot of labor involved in replacing the computer itself that price sounds excessive!! The "reprogramming" your mechanic is talking about usually runs about $100.00 or so. This is called "flashing" the computer. It must be done any time an OBD II computer (PCM) is replaced. They use your vehicle identification number to match the new/rebuilt computer to your specific vehicle. HTH. -Jim

Get the part number off your car computer, then go shopping the used market with that number. Very cost effective. Then get yourself a VAG- COM tool that lets you read and reset fault codes, and do other cool things with the car computer.

I took my car to the my mechanic and I paid over $2500. He said he repair the engine head, replace all value and head gasket. And he did some extra work like oil change. When he call me to pick up the car, it was fine when I took it home but on the same weekend I was driving it and the time belt when off. I was unable to drive it, so I took it back and weeks later he called me and said that he did his part and that I have to take it to the dealer so they can reset the computer for the value. Please help me out.