2000 VW Jetta won't shift into gear

125

Asked by Jun 16, 2014 at 11:40 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL

I have a 2000 VW Jetta that won't go into any gear. The car is an automatic, but it has
been sitting for about 6 months because I've been out of state. The battery needs to be
charged but I don't know if that effects anything. When I shift from park to any other
gear, it acts as if its in neutral and just rolls no matter how much I rev. My "check
engine" light is on, and I had taken it to a local auto shop to get the electrical check on
it and was told that my torque converter was malfunctioning. Trying give as much detail
as I can but im new to this, just looking for help.

61,445

Did you check fluid in trainsmission?if fluid is full may help to change filter in it.

125

I haven't done that yet, from what I've been told, you can't check the fluid unless you just completely replace it at a dealer VW mechanic because they use some type of machine? A bit clueless on my end, sorry.

61,445

There is a fill cap,but there is no stick to check it with,vw,bmw,all the same.

125

Alright I see now i'll definitely be looking into the fluid level and all, I've also got a ticking noise in my engine, a friend of mine says its just sticky lifters from the oil sitting too long and that running the car would fix it or getting it flushed and a new oil filter, any other advice or does this sound like a good solution? The ticking speed increases as I rev the engine.

61,445

Yes,change oil,and leave a quart shy,add a bottle of luca,s oil treatment,

125

Well ok, I'll be trying to get this all done within the week, thank you for your help, I'll be sure to come back here if I have any more questions

2,775

if the oil level is correct no oil change will help, your tranny died. to check the oil level you need technical knowledge there is a screw that seems as the drain but is not that is where the oil is measured, and the car needs to be at 30deg or lower celsius to measure correctly.

125

I forgot to add that the car has been sitting at an upward incline in the driveway while i was out of state, i dont know if that could have an effect, but i havent had a chance to get to my car yet and check the fluid level. As far as i know the transmission fluid hasnt been changed or even looked at since ive bought the car from a friend, so im leaning toward it being just low on fluid.

125

Well ok, we changed the transmission fluid in it, and it still wouldn't go into gear. I found an article online about the TCM on the car and its effect on the tranny and how to reset it. So I followed the steps and reset the TCM and started the car up, put it into drive, and it caught the gear. It only stayed in gear for a few seconds, but while it was in gear the whole car vibrated and when then would suddenly stop and lose gear. In drive it would go forward for a few seconds but only up to about 6-8mph then lose power. All other gears did the same, and in order to get it to go back into gear, I would have to turn the car off, reset the TCM, and turn it back on.

10

I have the exact same problem! Have u found out a way to fix it? Please reply if you were able to fix it or if anyone knows what works.

20

I am having the same problem as above. When I bought the car it died before i even got it home. I ended up replacing the engine. Since the replace it appeared to have a slight ticking sound and then a screaching like a cat howl. Upon driving it home after work one day the car just wouldn't go into any gear and stopped right in my driveway. Now the car won't go into gear at all. My husband said we can put Lucas in it but we have no clue how to get the trans fluid thingy opened or even where to put the lucas. Mine is a 2000 automatic jetta