chevy v8 (gas) suburban 1999 LT.. Motor quit, now won't crank over..

Asked by Mar 27, 2016 at 07:20 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

No smoke, white or oil black..  no rough idle before motor just quit. Like
someone turned the key off..
Now, Even after 13.6 volts starting, it'l barely spin  one revolution.  
fuses checked terminals at battery are cleaned, although it appears there's
a couple junctions  called aux a and aux b..  to the ECC, I think, big ole
black box, near the main fuse box..  
This rig owned by this girl that kids and stuff, and needs wheels.
I can only figure the motor ceased up?  
I took the #1 plug out, then tried to turn it over.. and it went further than
with it in place and tight. But still wont make it all the way around..  

I wanna be the hero here, but I'm baffled.
Any ideas?
There's also a strange  noise, thinking fuel pump priming when key turns
on.  I noticed there's no fuse in airbag slot,  But  it had run like a top, untill
just then..
Thanks a million.

Buddy

Oh.. I also noticed oil leaking from someplace under motor. and at the transfer case.. Who knows where that.s coming from. :o/

72,415

Take all the spark plugs out and see how easy it is to turn over, if it will. What you have described, doesn't sound good.

I was thinking the same damn thing.. At the same time though, on my chevy s-10 pick up, There's to units that work together, can't recall their names, but when one goes bad there's the same 'motor just quits' symptom. The bummer is, I recall the crank still would spin , just refused to start. Thanks Rowefast

72,415

This sounds like the motor was running without oil, or oil pressure. Bearings and pistons probably starting to seize up. I think what you were talking about is there is a timing chain and gears that ties together the camshaft and the crankshaft. If you take all the plug out and try to turn it over by hand it should be fairly easy too. If not there are some big problems going on.

Best Answer

*Oh, on my truck, I meant the motor would still turn over, just no spark.* 2 electrical units bolt just below the distributude, . I'mJust havin a mental meltdown on their names.. Turns out the connections inside the plug ins will over time, corrode to the point of refusing to function. ;o) Yes, I agree. I believe there had to be a major lack of oil.. Looking at it when I did, I noticed new oil had been added, but not sure how many quarts low it was.. I'm gonna pull the plugs squirt some oil in the cylinders.. and see if it will start spinning, at all easier.. This may be a waste of time. I think there's 2 chances of it NOT needing a short block. Slim, and none.. :O/ I appreciate your insight, and pretty much confirmed what I thought.. Thanks, Buddy

Thanks again for your support. It's shot. Managed to get it to spin enough to start, but I think I hear main bearings.. This, and I'm nearly deaf, so that motor is toast... Ten thousand thank -yous